LICENSE PLATE SCREWS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jestlurnin

SILVER Star
Threads
Can anyone confirm or deny that the screws or bolts that go into the rear license plate holder are M5?

I haven't run into many M5's on this truck and want to make sure I'm measuring it correctly before I go buy some.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1409605978.868628.jpg

...via IH8MUD app

You are correct that there are not many 5mm bolts on the FJ40. My nut and bolt list only has 4 listed for the early trucks. I really don't know what size that is, but how are you measuring it?

If you find an answer I will add it to my spread sheet...

I measured using this M5X0.8 tap. It went through the holes with very little resistance mostly like it was just freshening up the holes.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1409623486.166599.jpg

However when I use the M6X1.0 tap it was like I was tapping a entire new hole.

My disclaimer is that this is a harbor freight tap and die set and it's the first time I've had it out of the box.

If there is an error in my methods please enlighten me.

Cheers

...via IH8MUD app

I guess the one thing I might be screwing up is fine VS coarse thread. Not sure how to sort that out as I'm a tap and die rookie.

...via IH8MUD app

It's likely a M5-0.80.
Since you are only needing to buy a few machine screws, why not buy both M5-0.80 and M6-1.00, and find out for sure what works.

P.S. sometimes a prior owner will not have the correct screw or bolt and will tap out the existing threads with another size or even something non-metric---be prepared for that.

An M5 tap would easily go through an M6 hole. I have the Harbor Freight Metric tap and die set. I have found it to be reasonably accurate. If you have the same set I do, it comes with a thread pitch gauge. Measure the thread pitch in the license plate holder. If it's 0.8 then it's a 5MM it it's 1.0 then it's 6mm.

Thanks coolerman I'll dig into the set and try and figure it out what the thread gauge looks like then try and figure out how to use it.....

One of my biggest fears when working on my 40 and my 60 is buggering up the threads on something.

...via IH8MUD app

Thanks coolerman I'll dig into the set and try and figure it out what the thread gauge looks like then try and figure out how to use it.....

One of my biggest fears when working on my 40 and my 60 is buggering up the threads on something.

...via IH8MUD app

...via IH8MUD app

I have gone through two or three each of the 6mm x 1.0 and the 8mm x 1.25 taps and dies while working on my truck. Also got real good at drilling out broken bolts and re-tapping the hole or worse case, welding it back up and re-drilling then re-tapping. Comes with owning one of these trucks. Though I did not own one when I started this project, if I were to give one piece of advice to a new owner of a rusty FJ40, it would be: GET A ELECTRIC HAND HELD IMPACT DRIVER!

I finally bought a DeWalt 20V Brushless 1/4" impact driver last year. Had I owned one when I started I would have saved hours of drilling and cussing. That thing still amazes me with it's ability to remove smaller rusted nuts, bolts and screws. PB Blaster, and this tool, make working on the FJ40 fun again.

The ones on my '78 are definitely M6x1, fwiw. When trying to start your M6 tap, you may just be meeting some resistance from rust or crud in the threads, once you start it, it will become smoother and you'll know it is correct.

Good luck,
Skip
OK I will add the license plate screws to the spread sheet but first need to know the following:

Do they have flat or lock washers? How long are the 6mm x 1.0 bolts?...

Wow there's actually a thread on this subject. Now I don't feel quite so bad!

Still don't know what the answer is. First I tried M6 X 1.0 X 16mm and it won't go in, then I bought M5 x .8 and it's too small (it goes right through). Maybe it has to be a screw instead of a bolt?

You might wonder how I hung my license plate before. Well, I was using a generic kit that came with its own plastic nut. Now I want to go back to using the nut that's on the bracket itself.

Yah I'm pretty sure I had the correct tap and it never really sorted itself out. I just forced it in....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom