My new soon to be DD! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok so it wasn't what I expected. Oh well moving on. Got my new rocker arm adjusters and I'm sad to say they don't look much different then my old ones. :( None the less I'm installing them and hoping it solves atleast one of my problems. On a positive note I got my map light installed. Only problem I ran into was grounding the bracket. I had to sand a little and then it worked. Need to clean it up a little tomorrow but super excited how it came out. Down the road I'll switch to LEDs but I'm happy for now.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Nerd status is high! :flipoff2:

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Down side. Found what I think is causing my valve adjustments to go out of whack so quickly.
Not sure what it's called but found significant wear on the bar wear the rockers ride. The pic shows the worst one. Wasn't sure what to look for so called a shop and low and behold. :bang: New rocker arm assembly on the way. :crybaby: Hope this solves one problem.

image.jpg

Waterboy - truck is coming along nicely. I saw a couple pages back where you went to a pick n pull...where was that? Was it up in West Palm? Next time they have something good like an SR5 hit me up and I'll try to go with you. I'd love to grab some seats for my non-SR5, maybe a tach cluster, and whatever else.

Will do. Yeah it was in Palm Beach. I forget which one it was but I have it were they send me an email when one comes in. Next time one pops up I'll let you know. Thanks for the compliment. :beer:

Yeah please do let me know, the only u pull it in broward really stinks as far as Toyota inventory. I have had the top off my 4Runner since January, but it rains so much I don't get it out of the garage much.

Back in town but only for a few days. Not having a lot of motivation but I did manage to do the no cut zuk mod. Pretty stoked how it came out! Also received my new rocker arm assembly but I don't think I'm gonna install it till after this next trip. But really looking to start driving this thing!
image.jpg
image.jpg

Back in town but only for a few days. Not having a lot of motivation but I did manage to do the no cut zuk mod. Pretty stoked how it came out! Also received my new rocker arm assembly but I don't think I'm gonna install it till after this next trip. But really looking to start driving this thing!View attachment 925977View attachment 925978

First time I've heard about this mod. Looking forward to hearing how the ride is. Your build looks good so now I'm gonna have to go through the whole thing!

-Daniel Kent

image.jpg
Thank you sir. I just got back in town but hope to have the new rocker assembly installed soon. As soon as I take it for spin I'll let you know how the ride is. I suspect it's better then bouncing off the bump stops though. Pic is from Spanish Cay, Bahamas. Last stop before home.

New rocker assembly installed. You can see some of the wear marks on the oiler bar. Hoping the end is near...:rimshot:
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
Well I threw the jumper wire in to set the timing and bot da bing there's that pesky engine light flashing! Haha... Long story short I have a bad TPS. Also got to pick my son up from the vet this morning. Had to have surgery on his ear. Glad to have him back.
And yes I cleaned my car! Water bottles are from my wife. She thinks my car is a recycling bin.

TPS could just be an adjustment issue.

I did several test. And on two of them I got no readings. I used 4crawlers test.

I wouldn't mess around and just get one from Toyota. I have a few laying around, but I don't know their status.

I ordered one from 22reperformance. But in the mean time I had to have my windshield replaced so I had to move the 4runner out of the carport. Boy she was not happy to move. :confused: Either way I got her out and had to take a pic! Even with all the problems I've had with her I still love it! Backed it out, hopped out, and instant smile. Plus I got a new windshield.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg
Well got my new TPS installed and took her for a cruise. Went great. She still has a few bugs such as cruising at a constant speed she seems to have a miss? It's bearable for now. Next up is tightening up the steering and get the AC blowing cold.

Now for the AC I still have the old R12? system. I have read severale threads saying to fill the new system up 80% so it doesn't blow the compressor. What do you guys recommend? It's 90+ down here and AC is nice to have even with the windows down.

Occasionally you can find R12 replacement. The name that comes to mind is Freeze 12. I ran that and it worked good. Can't find it now. There are other products out there. RED TEK R12a comes up at Amazon.com, but it also sounds like one of the R134a conversion kits. Never tried it, but does sound like a good way to go.

I've heard different opinions on converting to R134a.
- Evacuate, replace all the seals, replace drier, recharge. I've heard the R12 seals are incompatible with R134a.
- Evacuate, replace drier, recharge.
- Evacuate, screw all the parts, recharge. It is, after all, at least 20 year-old junk. This was the advice given to me by a Toyota engineer. And for the record, my truck is 30 years old.

My plans are to convert to R134a using option #3, and using this retro kit: Interdynamics (323) 3 Can High Mileage Retrofit Kit.
It is cheaper than the RED TEK kit by over twenty bucks.

I'm also interested in the experience others have had converting from R12 to R134a.

Thanks for the reply pappy. I was just doing some research and saw that kit. Looks interesting. I'm a little confused though as some say to vacuum the system and seems as others have just added to the original system. Going to do a little more research but as of now I think I'm going with that kit.

All of the advice I have received have said to evacuate the system. Something about R12 not mixing well with R134a.

I made the conversion to my AC back in 2006 (I think). Spent a lot of time and effort, re-sealed the compressor, all new O-rings, new drier, adapters, yada yada yada. Paid to have the system evacuated, tested, and filled with R134a. Within a year the seals on the compressor blew out, drooling yucky oil with dye everywhere, and the AC quit. Tore it all out, sold/gave away the parts, never missed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom