2003 4Runner SR5 options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

93jspec

Cruising Central Texas
Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
Okay, so I have a Toyota issue. Still not done with my 71 FJ40, 96 FZJ80 is my DD..and now I bought a 2003 4Runner SR5 with the 4.0 L 1GR-FE. Only some minor cosmetic dings on the passenger side from meeting a snow bank...and in the ensuing attempt to remove the vehicle from the snowbank it sounds like they spun a bearing (seriously sounds like a monkey with a 3 pound sledge banging away) Living in the Alaska interior means everyone holds onto their Toyotas..so no engines in the salvage yards. I do have a buddy who has a 2UZ-FE from an 04 Tundra. It is complete with Transmission, T-case, harness and ECUs I can get for around $1500. I know anything is possible with $$$$ but I dont want to dump to much more $$$$ into this thing. Search has yeilding me nothing, and I think I broke the google machine searching for anyone who may have swapped the V6 out and put in the V8. Push comes to shove I will dump another 2k into getting the engine rebuilt... this thing will get a mild 2inch OME lift and some 33s and bumper upgrades....thoughts?

10450016_731928573539935_1834431140702196257_o.jpg

10468036_731928896873236_8373285676962928094_o.jpg

Already ripped out the interior so the wife could shampoo it all and clean the interior tid bits.

10608236_732062433526549_5569163151306738805_o.jpg

Post isnt even 10 min old and I jumped into some other yota forums and read about the differences between the 6 and the 8. HP and Torque gains are negligable..the 8 of course sucks up more fuel, and the timing belt is a spendy affair. Seems like I just need to teat this thing apart and see how bad the piston has damaged the block and go from there.

Didn't the Sport editions have a v8? The Lexus GX does and it's the same platform.

You are correct the sport can have the 2UZ-FE in it. I did a VIN check on mine and it is an SR5 Sport. I am curious though if the Tundra harness for the engine will work with the 4Runner. The last thing I want to do is start splicing harnesses.

Last edited:
I'd be weary of any fleabay engines. I had a bossman that bought several classics off of ebay and had them delivered. All sight unseen aside from the ebay pics. Of the 4-5 bought this way, he had 2 that ended up being turned into parts cars for his others. He bought several motors as well. Being a former grass roots racer, he tore them down and found all sorts of things. Loose bolts in the bottom end, untorqued rod bolts, plugged oil channels in the heads, etc etc.

So, concerning your motor purchase. Beings that it's not installed when it gets to you. Have an oil pan, valve cover, and head gasket on hand waiting. Pull all these components off and inspect the motor before you ever consider installing it. It may prove to be a waste of time, but if you find one thing out of place or loose it will have paid for itself a hundred times over.

At that price, I wouldn't mind sticking one in my 1st gen Tacoma.

Beings that it's not installed when it gets to you. Have an oil pan, valve cover, and head gasket on hand waiting. Pull all these components off and inspect the motor before you ever consider installing it. It may prove to be a waste of time, but if you find one thing out of place or loose it will have paid for itself a hundred times over.

At that price, I wouldn't mind sticking one in my 1st gen Tacoma.

Excellent suggestion's! I managed to get the FSMs in near perfect condition shipped for $167 off ebay so those will help with this immensely.

I will be going with a rebuilt 4.0 Even shipped up here this is less expensive than having it built locally. They use "OEM" parts it says..

$_35.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271575800508?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Did further research and this place and a couple others are frauds. Back traced the phone number and got a cell phone out of Cali, dug further and its from India. I settled on Engine Haus out of Gig Harbour, WA. They have an A Rating from the BBB.

http://www.enginehaus.com/engines/2003-2012-toyota-4runner-1gr-fe-4.0l-vvt-i-v6-engine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom