iPad mini in 100..setting up the goodies (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I've been wanting to do this for a while.
I'm trying to decide if I want to keep a radio....Sony AppMode mexBT series radio or just have the iPad mini control and be the only source for audio.
Any thoughts?

I've been thinking about that also, great idea!

Trying to think of the benefits of a radio
1. Emergency situations
2. It would be cheaper than a iStreamer setup
3. Football games... Which most are available online

Im with TMobile which now has free data for life on tablets. This makes the decision easier. I don't listen to terrestial radio, just ipod or XM which of course you can listen to on the iPad. All the nav apps I could ever want are already on the ipad. At this point I can find a reason to keep using the radio.

@NLXTACY. That's kind of what I'm leaning toward. I have a Verizon iPad, with tons of data. Most of what I listen to/do is all on the iPad
Audiobooks, iTunes music library, npr, nfl and podcasts. May not be a real compelling reason to keep a radio. Haven't used a CD player in eons.

I think I'm going to go with a soundman side slider kit and the istreamer.

Here is a 100 series dash I picked up last week.

Cut out the area that needed to go.

IMG_0079_zps467e5169.jpg

The fit horizontally is great, tons of room, way better than the 80 series which are super tight. The vertical area on the other hand is super tight. I had to trim the mount as much as possible. It literally cannot get any smaller.

IMG_0082_zpsfd379451.jpg

IMG_0091_zps4fdef253.jpg

Mount sitting in place before "welding" it in.

IMG_0085_zps6b5fb022.jpg

IMG_0084_zpsfe7ead15.jpg

Most of the ABS bits "welded" in.

IMG_6400_zps1e9cf7be.jpg

IMG_6401_zpsd2959456.jpg

The antenna button, time/temp display and clock setting buttons are going away, they will be covered by the new dash. The display will actually still be there, it's built into the circuit board and not worth trying to remove.

IMG_6405_zpsa2affd32.jpg

Last edited:
Next step is to take a file to it and knock down the rough spots, tape up and add epoxy from the back side to get everything rock solid and then body filler and sanding. Lots and lots of body filler and sanding... followed by primer and paint.
I'm kind of jealous of this. I have an 04 100 series and I don't see any way of getting the Ipad into the dash since it has so many functions built into the touch screen and near the touch screen so covering that stuff isn't an option...

Cool!! Can't wait to see the finished product! Mine should arrive today!!

My wife donated a kidney to her little sister last week so I haven't had much time to work in this. Took 2 weeks off and thought I'd have free time to work on stuff but it turns out mom duties are very time consuming with 3 kids... :confused: Anyway, here is the latest as of middle of last week.

Needs a little more filler and sanding then hope to have it primed later this week. Followed by some fine tuning stuff before flat black finish.

imagejpg1_zpsecb557e5.jpg

Interested to see how you handle amp(s). Would be awesome if there could be a custom app written to control other devices to eliminate switches (lights, compressor, winch power, lockers, etc.). Probably not the most trouble-free method but trick nonetheless!

The Matrix audio controller takes a single input and splits into front, rear and sub. These channels are fed into the amp and out to speakers.

I've thought about using the Arduino Manager app. I don't think you could switch these devices on with the arduino directly but you could turn on/off a relay. Arduino would be cool, not only for switching things on and off but it could be used for monitoring voltages and temps, among other things. The UI of the app kind of sucks but it would be a good start to prove it works.

Did you hire a hamster to do your ABS cutting? :flipoff2:
If it was a gerbil, WHODAT wants it back.

That is my super advanced technique for melting two pieces of abs together with an old soldering iron. Works much better than just epoxy.

It's ABS. Just go to Home Depot and for like $2 you can get a whole thing of the chemical weld with the little ball swap on it. It's common for pipes.

Lol... I hate to admit but I had no clue there was such a thing. I'll pick some up and try it on the next one. Thanks for the heads up.

Finally found time to work on this one. Getting close. Hope to have it painted by Wednesday. Just a few small spots that still need work...

IMG_6599_zps863f953c.jpg

IMG_6606_zps8d49ba04.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom