Best toyota pick up from 79-95, preferably newer, I can get for 5 to 8 grand? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm interested in having a toyota pickup as my daily driver and want to spend 5 to 8 grand, what could i get?

How long is a piece of string?

There is a nice looking Tacoma doublecab in the classifieds right now for 8,500. That's what I would go for.

You might be able to pick up a Tacoma for that.

He wasn't spamming. What you asked is a question that had many answers that aren't right nor wrong. You could get almost anything for that money. It's up to you as in what kind you can get.

What body do you want? What engine? The newer the truck will be the higher the mileage will be. Obviously something like a 1st gen will be high mileage as well but probably would be able to find one with rebuilt engine etc.

You could get almost anything for that money. It's up to you as in what kind you can get.

X2. I'd go for a newer model with fuel injection and independent front suspension for a daily driver. 90-95 with no rust and a 4 cylinder engine.

... and a 4 cylinder engine.

Exactly. I know it's fashionable, and there is some perceived desire for a V6. But the 3.slow (1988-1995) is not one of Toyota's best engineering accomplishments. On the other hand, the 22RE is an engine you can easily work on.

I know this is not a truck but I paid $2700 and have put around another $1000 (could have spent a lot less) into it. Perfect compression across the board and very little rust. 1986 4Runner

image.jpg

I've had at least one example of each body style pickup and a bunch of tacomas. Honestly until the current generation I really like the way the 89-95 trucks drive better than Tacomas. I love the new ones but they are a little big and out of your price range (for a nice one anyway) and they are a bit more complex. The first gen tacomas always felt a little loose and sloppy, especially in stock form. I've had 4 of them though and they are good trucks. But for longevity I would try and find a nice 89-95 with a 22re and a 5 speed. They are slow, and nice ones are tough to find but they are great trucks. I keep holding onto my 89 regular cab thinking one of these days I'll do something cool with it. And in the meantime it plows my driveway nicely.

where are u located? im not sure but around here i see 89-95 pretty consistently priced about $2000-$4000 and 96 -2000 for $5000 - $10,000 . just watch craigslist and if u have facebook the car classified groups.

My preference is a fuel injected 4cyl Hino-Built truck. This would be a 85-90 pickup, or 85-95 4runner.

You can get a pre tacoma for 5gs or less. For a daily driver, the lack of power of the 22r on hills is disappointing. If you dont have a bunch of hills on freeways, then i would stick with a 22r truck. If you climb a lot at high speed, then the tacomas power will be more satisfying. I have a 22r but i dont care if i drive slow. I used to though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom