13B-T Rebuild, parts and tips. For a 45 troopie project. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Max

Threads
Hello dear ih8mud cruiser lover collegues...

This is my first post on Ih8mud, I've been reading this forum for some years now and a bit more intense lately since I have a project that I have started recently.

So I started with the engine a 13B-T that i bought knowing that needed new piston rings, pistons, etc... had low compression, etc.

I've been reading some of the threads regarding the 13, 14, and 15BT engines, and found there are people with lots of knowledge about them, I just haven been able to find the right parts for doing a good build up.

So far I've found 2 providers, one in Australia and other in Canada, similar prices, (about 2000 CAD or AUD for a complete rebuild) but i don't want to just spend my money, since as always is not the most abundant thing around.

Long story short, I dissasembled the engine (I'm a mechanic myself and been around cruisers since i was 14) and the bearings, oil pump, and everything (except for the piston rings and pistons) was in perfect condition according to the manual specs.

Of course I'm going to need new gaskets, and pistons, sleeves, rings and so on... but if the bearings are within standards, I guess I don't need new ones.. What is your opinion on this?

And of course, the main question here is: Which pistons and rings do I buy? any reccomendation? the canadian provider is suggesting a kit (whole kit) with alfin pistons, which i never heard of before, anyone with some experience?

so basically I want the highest quality at the lowest price, and i need sources for that or am I asking for too much? :/

A bit about the project: A 45 troopie, 35" with a pop-top roof thaat i want to build myself,
H55F. that is the basic.

I'm negotiating an 83` FJ45 that already has many goodies (arb front/rear, 4.88, 35" front disks, OBA, and othr stuff) is got SPOA which I plan on eliminating (got some axle housing lying around)

I'm attaching a pic of the possible victim, and some pics of the dissasemmble of the engine and the piston/rings that was most damaged.

Hope I can get some imput on parts, and advice on what to use and what not to.

Cheers!

Max

PS:I'm located in Chile (not a specific location, but the engine is in Santiago)

IMG-20140718-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20140812-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20140812-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20140812-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20140812-WA0006.jpg

First off: Welcome to IH8MUD! :clap:
I don't know anything about diesels, but be patient. There are many here that work during the day and can't read mud to respond. Give this thread a day or two to get some attention.

Geeee, Thanks mate! :doh: maybe I'm a little anxious, haha.

IF you're going to go through the effort of tearing the motor down for new pistons, rings, and sleeves, to me it would be a no-brainer to also replace the main and rod bearings. That way, when you button it back up, you KNOW you've got a 300,000+ mile motor. If the oil and fuel pump are within spec, then it's probably ok, but for me, I'd replace the oil pump, and refresh the fuel pump for peace of mind.

At the end of the day, it's your truck

Welcome.

^
X2

I think you have placed the thread in the wrong section....it should have been placed in the Diesel Tech

Cheers

I'm going to refresh the fuel pump anyways, and probably end up getting the whole kit, and replacing everything, but the main question here is the source and the quality of the components.

Any hint or experience on that?

Hsumbal, I think you are right! sorry to ask stupid questions, I'm the newbie here, but how can I move this post to the diesel tech?

cheers

any idea on how to move this thread to the diesel tech section plz

Send Woody a PM and ask him. He's a mod here.

Great choice of motor/trans too. I have one in my BJ74 and its a gem.

Thanks, i'll send him a PM.

Also I plan of using another transfer case I got lying around, I'm not sure if it's compatible or not but it looks the same from outside. Its from a R151F from a land cruiser, so output is to the right apparently the gearing is lower than the tranny used on the H55F and the H41. (2.29 if I'm not wrong)

Still gotta tear it apart and find out, gotta get the parts for the engine before even thinking on that.

I have heard that Engines Australia supplies high quality parts.

All good engine rebuilders and the larger engine companies are using Alfin pistons in the 12HT & I would do the same on a 13b-t. On average I try to get away with a 20 thou oversize pistons, std mains & std big ends, if it does not come up to these measurements I don't use or want the block, that's just me. And the same goes for the Head as well, because you only get one really good rebuild out of a Head, after that its just about cheaper to get another Head to rebuild.

I have found a lot of Heads on 12HT's have already been rebuilt once in some way, and the Block not touched. A rebuilt head to me is new valves, guides etc, not a valve grind and a new head gasket. These engines are nearly 30 years old and alot of the time not well looked after either.

I believe in build it once and build it right, unfortunately there is no cheap way just the right way, if these engines were common and cost $1,500 to buy like the V8's you would just buy one every 3 years or so and when it blew up put another one in, but this cannot be done with the 12HT, there not a common engine and there second hand resale price is high due to demand and scarcity and availability of some parts.

If I was rebuilding a 13b-t I would use the same guidelines.

Last edited:
yup, you are right guys, I'm going to do it in the best possible way, If i want to go round the world in this thing I'd better make it to last forever huh.

I think I'll end up spending about 2000 to 3000 in it :bang: but then in the end I know i will have an engine like new.

Some updates.

Begginning of august grabbed my backpack and went to Brasil to learn portuguese and coming back on my way to Chile trough Bolivia met a guy in Santa Cruz de la Sierra, (also a cruiser lover) spent a few hours talking told him about the engine and he said,"there is everything here for your engine" and the prices were astonishingly lower than elsewhere around the globe (Australia, Canada, etc) they import directly from Japan for the 1000's of Toyota Coaster busses that they have. Also many many 14B around.

I got new Alfin pistons 0.50, rings, full set of bearings fan clutch water pump valves valve seats thermosthat.. etc, etc.

So I put everything on my backpack and after 3 weeks of travelling trough Bolivia with an over 30ks backpack I have finally come home only to see the face of the guy at the "aduana" (customs). when my backpack went trough the scanner I said: "that's mine" in the end I didn't have to pay any taxes because the guy told me "it's ok, just don't tell anyone" I don't think this counts as telling someone anyway :).

In case I had an apple and had not declared it, then i would have been in trouble

So in a few days i will upload the pics, still need to go all the way down to where the engine is. (Santiago)

The story continues.

.slow but it's going.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom