Builds So now I have a BJ74... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The diff locks use a dog clutch that relies on different axle shaft rotational speeds to align the teeth. In order to get them to line up faster you can drive in an arc.

My rear seats have been folded up since I bought the Cruiser which of course greatly expands the storage capacity.
My 33" tires have a noticeable impact on acceleration. ( I believe 29" was stock )
You will find that 3rd gear is your friend. : )

Last edited:
My rear seats have been folded up since I bought the Cruiser which of course greatly expands the storage capacity.
My 33" tires have a noticeable impact on acceleration. ( I believe 29" was stock )
You will find that 3rd gear is your friend. : )

Mine had some +size tires on it all ready, a bit shorter but way fatter, I think my new set up feels about the same with less rubber on the road.

Next up is the aux trans cooler and some dried vacuum line that could use a change.

Thanks, defiantly lots of work to do, nothing huge but a lot of little stuff. So far it's been fun, just firing it up puts a grin on my face.

I'll be stoked when I get the radio wiring cleaned up and the new one in. But for now just the hum of diesel is good enough for me!

Finally got some work done on the 74. Trans cooler is in, had to go with a smaller one then I had planed due to the clearance between the AC condenser and the front cross member. I just could not get the hoses routed with out fear of a sharp edge. So I went with the next size down from B&M and mounted it high and routed the hoses above the cross member. Came out clean and you can barley tell its there behind the grill.

IMG_6413.JPG

IMG_6410.JPG

Also had to move the horn, witch seems to be on the ghetto side...
IMG_6411.JPG

Are those the original plugs hanging? You can't see it here but the relay is zip tied to it, not sure what is going on with that!

Then I dived in to the rats nest of old radio wiring.
photo%2B%283%29.JPG

Pulled out some old wires with nothing attached.
IMG_6417.JPG

In the end It came out alright and now I got some tunes! Now I just need an antenna...
IMG_6436.JPG

One thing I have noticed is the oil pressure gauge hangs on the low side, I know this is normal at idle but this pic was taken around 1500
photo%2B%282%29.JPG

What do you guys see around there?
Either way I need to get a real gauge on there and see where I'm at.

Next up is finishing the 24v-12v set up, oil pressure check, and knuckle rebuild.

My oil pressure gauge reads real low, but the Isspro gauge reads 50 PSI or more. If I remember next time I am driving it, I will shoot a pic--not while driving, of course

My oil pressure (new 24v OEM sender) is about like that at hot idle.

You can get a new radio bezel for about 15 bucks by the way.

These levers can be stiff at times but fight the urge to force them. There are numerous (plastic) parts in there that are easily broken and difficult to repair.
image.jpg

You can also replace the sending unit. I bought it from the local dealer. CDan has a thread on replacing it. Did mine this weekend. Took out the air box for access. You'll feel better about your oil pressure.
Good luck!
Peter

Agreed. I am very careful with mine. I had a loose electrical connector from someplace find it's way down on top of the control and that made things bind up.

My oil pressure (new 24v OEM sender) is about like that at hot idle.

You can get a new radio bezel for about 15 bucks by the way.

That's what I figured on the pressure as the motor runs super smooth otherwise and starts right up, I guess I'm still growing my comfort with the truck. The bezel may have to wait for a few, but it nice to know its available, what I really need on the interior front it the plastic shroud for the steering column, all but two holes are stripped/broke off, and it makes a hell of a lot of racket on wash boards!

Last edited:
Figured that was a VHF or CB, so far the 12" that is left can get all the local stations so its getting me by.
There was a conflict with the factory antennae and the snorkel so it was moved to the brush bar. It is about 5 feet tall and in addition to receiving numerous radio stations it discourages low flying birds and drones.

I replaced my 24v oil sender last year as I was receiving no signal at all, still no signal, then got my oil receiver fixed by gauge shop, now it works.
Hot idle hangs low, and driving it sits in lower line or just a fraction below the lower line of normal range, would prefer to have it sit higher for peace of mind.
Thinking of putting a 20/50 oil in and see if that makes any difference

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom