Roasted Peppers... mmm... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
Grilled, Roasted, Blackened, whatever you want to call them. It's interesting that they do seem to respond very well to serious roasting. I did a red Bell pepper again yesterday. I can eat them raw, but not particularly fond of it. However, after roasting and especially blackening, they seem to acquire an entirely new dimension and become downright delectable.

Classic and I am sure many of you already do this, but didn't see a specific thread so there for the few folks who have not experienced the magic yet.

I bet this works with many other types too but I have mostly experience with the Bell peppers type.

I found that the point is to "burn" them thoroughly. I mean leave them on the grate until they are completely black (and look utterly burned to the untrained eye). They should also be looking soft and squishy. Not reduced to carbon ashes of course. At that point remove them and put them in a brown paper bag for some time (10 mins maybe?). Supposedly (have not done tests so not sure) the latter operation makes it much easier to peel them. Remove all the black skin. It should peel off easy. The meat underneath should still be the original color but don't try to remove all specks of black, they add flavor. Should be tender and soft. I remove the seeds but not the seed membrane or whatever those are called.

Very good indeed.

Had them yesterday on a hot italian sausage sandwich, some with Bruschetta. Mmmm mmm.... And a good Chianti or Barolo would not hurt either. :)

try if it you haven't already.

Yep. Or can put them in a bowl covered with plastic wrap, or just place a bowl upside down over them on the counter. Paper bags always work for me. Yes, the steam that builds helps the skin peel off easily.

When I do them on the coals, I often throw on an onion, too. They take a good bit more time, though.

I marinate them in a balsamic vinaigrette about a half hour before grilling, eat the skin too.

Not very often I'm without fresh roasted peppers of some kind waiting in the fridge: New Mexican green, poblano, bell, jalapeno, habanero, etc. Try roasted & peeled orange bell pepper chunks swapped for tomato slices in the classic caprese salad...especially great when tomatoes are out of season.

when I say blackened I'm not kidding...

OK, not the prettiest thing while processing I'll admit, but tastes wonderful (and looks OK) after filetting... :)

crisp burned skin:
20140814_190008.jpg

after skin removal:
20140814_192604.jpg

filetted:
20140814_193122.jpg

so, what's the next best one to try after Bell?

Last edited:
I will roast poblanos and jalapenos and then onion slices. Then roast garlic. Red bells are good also. Then make a salsa with the other standard stuff.
I will cheat and add about 4 drops of liquid smoke (I know please keep the hate mail to a min.) This salsa would benefit from chipotle, but the family can not take the heat.
After the chilies have been kissed (charred) I drop them into a Ziploc bag to sweat. You can then peel, and stem/seed them to what ever you prefer.
-Jim

Forgot to mention that I will roast roma tomatos, and after the sear, I will set them slightly off the fire and add wood chips to the coals.
Peel the skins before they go into the blender, and it is on.

Will try the anaheims too, but mmmm, I roasted/blackened some Pasillas tonight. Excellent. Nice understated kick to them. Great for sandwiches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom