Odd Smell in the truck?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The last couple days I've jumped into the truck and I'd swear someone had dumped an cigarette butt can in there. This morning my daughter smelled it too. It's not a cigarette smoke smell - but the damp smell of old cigarette butts, etc. It's that nasty combo of burnt, tobacco and humidity...

On Sunday I did take it to the car wash. Lightly sprayed out the engine compartment and sprayed around and under the plastic cover that sits under the windshield wipers. There had been a bunch of tree shrapnel in there...

Anyone else experience this kind of thing? Or have an idea of what I should be looking for.
We've had more rain this summer in Denver than I can recall in 20 years - so I worry that I've got a leak somewhere and I'm smelling the first signs of some kind of mold...?

3rd brake light gasket leak?

I got a funky smell in my cruiser when I forgot that I had put some black water pipes in the back to take to the plumbing store for exact replacements. Black water = toilet. Not the best smell in the world...

...via IH8MUD app

Check if your truck has a cabin air filter and replace it if so. If it does have a filter and the PO was a smoker and the filter got wet... Eww.

You can also try running the AC on recirc with a pan of white vinegar on the floor for while and then leave it in there for a day or two to try and deordorize the ductwork and interior.

At some point in each of our lives we all come to grips with reality...
For me it was yesterday! After climbing into a hot truck yesterday after work and smelling yet again that lovely odor of BUTT CAN...
It dawned on me that I had in fact offered to haul a bag of visqueen and foam off a job site in downtown Denver on Tuesday.
Yes, one of my employees is a smoker.... Fast forward to yesterday afternoon and yes that black back was still in the back!

My realization... I'm an idiot.

On the up side, after some pretty good rains over the past few days here in Denver, I know my truck doesn't leak much - as apparent by the dry carpet!
But I do seem to have some leaks around the sun roof....

I'm in Platt Park -
Most people know it as the neighborhood where Sushi Den is located...

And here I didn't think I was being very helpful. Forgetting about that smelly thing in the back is lame. I was asking my friends "what the heck is that new smell in my car!?" All I had to do was look around...

...via IH8MUD app

Spread a box or 2 of baking soda over the carpet and let it sit for a couple of days. Vacuum. ;)

Have you checked your daughters breath lately? Perhaps she's smoking in your ring and hiding the butts in there!:D

p.s. don't blow a gasket, I'm only joking...;)

Seriously, have opened all the windows (and sunroof) and let it sit during the day in the sun? I enjoy my (tobacco) pipe sometimes when I drive longer distances, but I hate the smell of smoke in my vehicles, so I'll drive with the windows down and sunroof open a few days, and it's pretty much gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom