100 Series & Stock Bumper - Light Recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for some advice / recommendations for adding aftermarket lights. (Yea, it's tax time.)

Here's the scenario: I've got a '99 100 series and have no plans at present to get an aftermarket bumper (pic below). It's got a 1.4m Front Runner Wind Cheetah rack on it, but both because it sits farther back on the vehicle and because it gets parked at work in a low clearance garage, putting some lights on top "may" not be feasible (i.e. depending on the type of light, but willing to entertain ideas).

Specifically, I'm looking for advice and/or recommendations around:
  1. Type of lights for off-road, high-speed driving on forest service-type roads. Something that will light up a good distance down the road and off both sides of the road. (Interesting review by 4WD Action in '11).
  2. Best mount locations given it's a stock bumper which has two slots on either side of the license plate (a requirement in Utah) upon which a "light bar" (maybe a Tundra Defiant bar?) or a pair of 6' LED bars could be attached. An LED bar could also be placed in front of the FR rack if the Yakima fairing and bar were removed, just not sure how well it would work given its location (see pic below).
Willing to entertain all options at this point, but hoping to stay under $650 if possible.

mollys-castle-jpg.820850

967237_646309465395633_596886691_o.jpg

Bump!

Only problem I went through three cobalt drills to bolt the lights down

image.jpg

Best bang for the buck = mounting a bar to the front of the rack. Mount the bar off the front or down low to to impede vertical clearance.

You could do a 30" Lifetime LED bar for $349. They come with a short and long pair of mounting feet. The longs might mean no welding or fab.
http://www.southeastoverland.com/in...t_id=276&virtuemart_category_id=109&Itemid=33

A 50" is also available. Check to see if you have horizontal clearance.
http://www.southeastoverland.com/in...t_id=339&virtuemart_category_id=109&Itemid=33

One of the above options is what I'd personally look at first.

Moving down to the bumper might mean more fab time - might not - it depends on what you can mount to underneath the bumper. You might be trading off total amount of lights for install cost/fab time if you don't do your own work. If mounting in the bumper slots look at

6" Lifetime LED single stack light bar
http://www.southeastoverland.com/in...t_id=273&virtuemart_category_id=109&Itemid=33

Or 10" Lifetime LED
http://www.southeastoverland.com/in...t_id=274&virtuemart_category_id=109&Itemid=33.

All Lifetime LED light bars come with a Lifetime warranty.

We also sell Rigid bars and they are niiiiiice - very bright and very well made but they cost more. For light bars expect 2-3x the cost. Here are some Rigid options.
http://www.southeastoverland.com/in...=category&virtuemart_category_id=87&Itemid=33
We sell single stack Rigid and more, just don't have everything on the web store yet.

Thanks!
Steve

To Krice, are those six inchers? Anything negative about them?

To original poster: I like the part about high-speed night driving on forest roads...lol

They are 11" I believe. I like them but they really only impressed me once I was offroad and away from the city lights. For what your looking for I would mount a bar to the front runner. I like mine they are floods but next I will get a led bar for the roof in a spot configuration.

To Krice, are those six inchers? Anything negative about them?

To original poster: I like the part about high-speed night driving on forest roads...lol

Yea, well you know . . .

Yes. They recently dropped the price a few weeks ago.

I emailed them but haven't checked my email yet for a response (out of town, etc.).

I was trying to find out manufacturer specs. on the light and if it would fit a gen. 1 Wind Cheetah.

BTW - what size rack do you have? Full length or partial? Mine's a 1.4 meter. Wondering how it would do sitting behind the sunroof.

BTW - what size rack do you have? Full length or partial? Mine's a 1.4 meter. Wondering how it would do sitting behind the sunroof.
Full length rack on mine. It covers the sunroof. Was reading that the clearance needed to use this is a minimum of 90mm (3.54 inches). Measuring from the front center point, bottom of rack to roof is 3.25 inches. Looks like I will have to find another option... Or if someone has made it fit with less than 3.5 inches maybe they could chime in!

...via IH8MUD app

@1toy Do you have the rack sitting at the highest point on the feet?

I need to go out and measure mine at that height - have a feeling though I'm going to find it won't fit.

Edit: Interesting. The image of the one above shows the light bar about flush with the front rail of the rack. Special mod maybe? Also, there is no light guard on this one.

Last edited:
According to the description in the Facebook post, it is attached using the Universal Mounting Brackets. Hummm.

Front Runner LED Bar.png

According to the description in the Facebook post, it is attached using the Universal Mounting Brackets. Hummm.

View attachment 908949
That Looks slick...
I am new to this saw the pictures of your truck.... You have done an amazing job with it over all.. I have a lx470 currently running on 18" tundra wheels with 275/65/18.. But really liked the way your truck looks.. Can you please tell me whats the biggest tire i can run on the LX470 without any modifications i was told 285/65/18 is the biggest i can run without any modificationms.... OR what size you running yours on without compromising the ride quality mine is a daily driven with occasional off roading.. but i am also looking for an aggressive look..

Thank You for your help in advance..
Regards,

@anian12 Nothing special - 285/76/16s. Next set will probably go up to 295s.

You can run up to 295s w/ no mods. 315s w/ mods.

OME medium lift w/ diff drop above.

krice118 I was thinking about mounting in the same location but several people warned about cooling issues...any problems?

Can you share how you mounted them?

Thanks
-dub
Yes I removed the front bumper and the grille, I marked where I wanted the lights to be and drilled holes in the bumper frame on either side of each light bar and bolted them down.

Has anyone installed a 30" LED bar in the opening of the front bumper. I realize this isn't an option for most but KY does not require a front license plate so I'm considering this mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom