Welder Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you ever need a hand let me know, I live in base housing and have a decent collection of tools and space to do work. Its always good to get together and turn some wrenches with fellow cruiserheads.

Thanks for the kind offer - I'll certainly keep it in mind! Feel free to ask if there is ever anything I can help you with!
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Well, everybody... I know I dropped off the "welding" grid, but life happened....

First, I pulled my carb and sent it to Jim C for him to work his magic. Jim quoted 4 weeks, but I told him to take 8 weeks...

Then, we took an extended trip... Our eldest Golden Retriever, Mr Parker (left in my avatar), developed a very aggressive, basketball-sized malignant tumor on his back and right side... I had him euthanized on Jul 11th, at 12.5 years of age.

Dianna (Wife) and I hooked up our Casita trailer to my Tundra and filled the back of the Tundra with camping/fly fishing stuff, solar, generator and two 5 gallon gas cans, loaded the roof rack with chairs, tarps, etc. and loaded Sgt Gunner (right in avatar - he will be 9 years old on Veterans Day) in the back seat and drove to a very remote 10k' area of the Conejos River, in south-central Colorado.

We spread Mr Parker's ashes in a couple of his favorite swimming places on the river, while we camped there for two weeks with our younger daughter and son-in-law. We caught some trout (rainbows and browns), Dutch Oven cooked, enjoyed 10k' of cool, mountain air and relaxed.

Then, we trekked back home, via Mesa Verde National Park, CO, Arches National Monument(?), UT, Goblin Valley State Park, UT, Bryce Canyon National Park, UT and Grand-Escalante National (something), UT... camping along the way.

We are now back in the heat of Vegas and my carb will be delivered tomorrow - soooo... now, I need to re-install my carb, drop the oil pan and install a new gasket (I screwed it up the first time and have a leak) and replace all vacuum hoses (and the Check Valve on the air rail - coming from Georg), validate that the Tach and Vacuum Gauge, FJ60 GR Starter and Alternator (that I installed while my carb was away) all work correctly. I'll also build a sleep-platform by removing the PS seat back.

Then, when I'm sure 44 is ready, Gunner and I will make a trip around Nevada and Utah (hope to spend a month in 44 - taking a tent, but also sleeping in 44. Looking forward to a lot of new places, a lot of hiking and as much fly fishing as I can fit in.

I know it seems I am always saying I'm gonna get into welding, and I will!!

Once we're back from that trip, I HOPE to devote my time to really learning to weld. I fabbed some brackets and braces, using the cheap Harbor Freight Flux Welder -it worked fine for initial use and practice... but, I plan to donate it and buy a better welder (as many of you initially suggested). I have several projects that I'm anxious to dive into and it should be cool enough to do so by then.

Thanks to everyone... for all the great info!

Looking forward to actually building stuff again!

220 is really not an option - I have a gas dryer and a gas range - no 220 hookup.

The only 220 is a 30amp 220 for the Air Conditioner, out back, and it's a long way off - I'd rather not run a 100' extension cord - then I'd have a fight with the HOA.

I don't have the access to the panel to swap breakers or change wiring and don't want to fight it - there appear to be many welder options available in 110 that will serve my purposes nicely.

For those of you with 220V welders that get stuck in a location that has no 220V outlet, you can always get 220V by finding the hot wires from two different circuits on opposite sides of the buss bars. There are two ways to find these: One is to look in the breaker box for the nearest circuits that have breakers on the left and right sides of the two rows of breakers. The other is to use your volt meter and a couple of extension cords to find two outlets where you get 220V across the hot wires. Then you just plug the two hot wires on to the two hot wires of your 220V welder. It is not code, but it works in an emergency.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom