Who's wants an off road skid plate? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is this to replace the almost impossible to get 'engine undercover # 1' that bolts to the chassis under the gearbox? My 80 has one (currently removed) but it's plastic/fibreglass and not very rugged. It's got some minor damage so don't want to break it completely. I've considered ways to fabricate a steel plate section to replace it so the gearbox has protection (since right now it doesn't).

Looking at some of the pics posted earlier in this thread, I have to caution on replacing a factory cross-member with an aftermarket fabricated one. Especially if it's going to have metal plates welded to it. The cross-member does a vital job, and it's engineered by Toyota specifically for the job. If a non-OEM crossmember setup was presented to an engineer here in Oz, I suspect it wouldn't be permitted no matter now tough it is.

But if that's not an issue, just consider the twisting forces that a cross member would have to take if a welded on plate comes down on a big rock, etc. Obviously the intention is to protect the gearbox and transfer case, but if a cross member gets twisted/damaged it can compromise the integrity of the entire engine mounting setup.

One other issue, that might not be immediately obvious, is that manual and auto gearbox 80's have the crossmember fitted in a different place and I'm not sure if they are otherwise identical or different in design.

Craig.

Last edited:
My truck has been on the lift all day while we been measuring everything. Here's is the first draw up of the skid plate for reference.

FYI, the inner bolt holes are slightly higher than the out side, you will need washers or spacers. As for the solution to the bolt heads being mangled by rocks, just cut out another piece like the picture with material thick enough to protect the bolt heads. Chamfer the inside of the holes enough to remove some material from future damage, weld it on and you should be good to go.

20140819_214924_zps96pvcmus.jpg

Ya sounds good for a one off but like I said on the last page, u have to use slotted holes because of frame inconsistencies. And obviously you don't countersink slots. But u can use Allen heads of you want.

I would suggest mimicking the slotted holes on the stock cross member. They are that weird shape for a reason. I've had trouble mounting another vendors skid which replaced the cross member because they didn't.

I'm interested in this.
Looking forward to updates...

What's up with " the little Asian kid" remember that little Asian kid built what your driving now and it wasn't cheap new.

K
There's is nothing to weld up. This is isn't some booty fab kit crossmember. It's a plate that is laser cut and bent. It's pimp. :)

Let me explain custom work,lol:

This isn't some crossmember that is mass produced in china and sold on summit where you pay for the part.

I am paying a guy to spend many hours measuring and drawing this thing up and making some out of 1/8" and test fitting, then more measuring more time on solid works etc... It's called research and development and it's made here in the USA. I have to pay him for his time.

I wish I had some little Asian kid in a sweat shop that happened to have a brake that could bend 3/8" and had a cheap laser cutter laying around and he worked for beans. Then maybe it will only cost 100 bucks. That would be sweet!

I am not trying to sell them. I am getting one custom made and I can get more made if anyone happens to want a nice crossmember that is done right.

Or u can get the ipor for 350 or the slee one for 400 that is 3/16". I thought for sure the price would be closer to 600. I was stoaked when he estimated 300 for it.

Looks sweet!

What's up with " the little Asian kid" remember that little Asian kid built what your driving now and it wasn't cheap new.

K

Im pretty sure he didnt mean it in a racial way.... sorry but if that offends you then you need to lighten up a little. Seems people look for anything these days to b*tch about. Just sayn man. I'm a cracker and I dont give a rats ass who calls me that.

^ cracker's dad

Update?

well... I do not like them Vietnamese asians, they disgustigate me.
Waiting for updates as well, I have family coming down to OC from Fresno at the end of August, please let me know.

He meant 'little Asian kid' as in Chinese junk built there in a sweat shop filled with child laborers and shipped over....

... And it somehow turns into random racism?? Only on ih8fabricating.com...

Ok ok, let's not get side tracked or we will be installing muffler bearings and 1000 posts deep before anything gets done... If we pay now, will that help keep the cost down?

I think that's a great looking skid and would pay $300 easy - I did more of a Creeper design on mine and I can tell you with the amount of time, plate, gas, and wire... I would have jumped on yours if it supports properly.

Mine is ghetto compared to yours so anyone thinking getting a custom laser cut piece of kit vs bent 3/16 plate and flat bar should maybe reconsider... Trade ya :clap:

man i think yours looks really nice. not gehto at all. nice work

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom