Wilson 5 band signal booster (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been using this for a while now and have been pretty impressed with the performance. Figured I would post up a review. Personally I got it since a CB only goes so far so if I have a breakdown or anything crazy this may come in handy. Also like to go out exploring with the fiancé so this helps keep her happy when off roading starts to loose her attention.

The Model is 460108. This is new for 2014 and is certified to new regulations by the FCC. The booster is not supposed to cause the same headaches to carriers ( and end users) that previous boosters could. It is also carrier agnostic. So it doesn't matter what carrier you're on. At least in the US. However you do need to register it with the network before use. This is because they actively communicate with the network infrastructure in order to ensure reliability and prevent harm to local infrastructure. Another pretty handy thing is that it supports voice, 2G, 3G, and both "standard" LTE as well as AWS (XLTE for Verizon customers).

The setup is pretty simple. It has an indoor antenna, outdoor antenna, power cord, and the booster itself. The power cord just plugs into the cigarette lighter and has a handy on/off switch. So you can turn it off if not needed without having to unplug it.

There is plenty enough coax line to have the booster on the back floor area and tuck the cable away in the PS interior plastic panels and set the (strong magnet) antenna about 1/3rd of the way up the roof. It also is short enough to not protrude over the bars for the Baja Rack. A plus since I don't have to worry about it breaking if I need to throw something up there.

When not in use I just keep the external antenna cabling run and have it where the 3rd row buckle used to be.

The internal antenna is a little candy bar unit. It doesn't really have the best range. Though it can't be too powerful as it would cause issues if the external picked up its signal. Typically I get a few feet of range on it. Normally I have it like shown below since I can then use blue tooth for calls and then have my Note 3 run as a hot spot for data. So that extends the use.

I typically keep the internal antenna and the booster itself locked in the glove box when not in use since I would rather not have it come up missing and have to drop another 300 on a replacement. When in use I have it like this:

I like the idea of being able to see the status LEDs so that's why it's not just tossed under the seat or something. Though I may try some other mounting options in the future.

So about performance. I used some software on my phone that records network information (type of service, rssi, sinr, serving carrier if roaming, ect). It also can log it via meta data and graphic it to a map. Pretty handy. I have had a few Moab trips where I had this thing running wile running the software in the background. Through all of Kane Creek, 95% of the trifecca (poison spider, gold bar rim and golden spike) , and Lockheart Basin without service loss. Also several areas between Spanish Fork and Price that I would have service loss were unaffected.

All in all I would do definitely say it is worth while for someone who likes to go do some exploring but wants / needs to remain able to have mobile communication. Just understand: it is a booster. Not a creator. The thing does a VERY good job at scavenging service but it cannot create it.

I was about to send you a pm a couple of days ago and ask how you were liking it. A few years ago I had a college field class out west and one of the guys in the class had one of these boosters and I was amazed where it worked. Up in north Texas at the bottom of an 800 foot canyon and he could get service in his truck.

I'm seriously considering getting one for the cruiser. Do you know anything about the other antennas they offer? I'm wanting an NMO mount antenna for the roof but they offer 3 different antennas.

According to the instruction pamphlet that they give the NMO antenna that will work is 311104-5810. Outside of that it's kind of a guess.

I tried asking what, if any, internal antennas would work with it. Thinking about one of their desktop in building antennas on camping trips with friends. Being able to toss it in front of the cruiser and let others use it might be worthwhile. They give a pretty cookie cutter response when asking though. "It wasn't used when the certification took place so we can't comment as to its capabilities." Understandable, I suppose.

I emailed the FCC directly to see if there is any trouble that could be had. If they don't respond then I may just grab one and try it out.

I have two different Wilson Boosters and have mixed and matched internal and external antennas with each. You may need physical cable adapters. You only need to pay attention to the ohm rating of the antenna. Some are 75 Ohm, some are 50 Ohm. Make sure you use the correct type specified for your booster.

The Wilson products are top notch. I use one with a tethered Android phone as my primary internet connection at home in rural Maine. The cell tower is 18 miles away. Service rarely drops below 20 Mbit/sec in both directions.

my friend has a similar product for his shop, made by wilson....metal building hell on cell signal otherwise. The Wilson product was easy to setup and worked almost as soon as we got it plugged in.

my friend has a similar product for his shop, made by wilson....metal building hell on cell signal otherwise. The Wilson product was easy to setup and worked almost as soon as we got it plugged in.

Good to know, thanks. Thinking of getting two of those, one for the house and one for my office (in a metal shop building) so that we could maybe ditch our land lines.

You'll likely find that if you move the external antenna, your range will increase significantly. The roof rack is creating a faraday cage which is limiting its range.

I see the 311104 antenna but when you go to the specs tab is shows 3 antennas with an NMO mount http://www.wilsonelectronics.com/store/display/29/51/nmo-antenna
also lists 304203 and 301105. Each has their own gain numbers. I guess it depends on what kind of phone you're using and what frequencies it uses
Got to http://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/12-inch-nmo-antenna-requires-nmo-mount-311104/

Wilson's direct site is less then helpful since they don't really sell directly. The guys at the site I listed are top notch. Very good to get stuff from. I actually ordered replacement antennas and a desktop internal to extend the range a bit from them so far so good.

You'll likely find that if you move the external antenna, your range will increase significantly. The roof rack is creating a faraday cage which is limiting its range.

I removed the rack all together and tested. Didn't notice a difference from my random testing. I am building up a little mount to connect to the rack to raise it up and still give the required ground plane to work well. I imagine when I start getting to the far reaches of available service it could help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom