Post up what you pedal (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just replaced my trek fuel ex 9.5 with this sweet Santa Cruz Tallboy LT ! Couldn't make my mind up between a Ibis Ripley and the tallboy Lt Picked the Tallboy on price ,and I'm pretty happy! Either bike would be good. My customer dropped off his Ripley for me to ride and I will have to say it was really nice.

20140711_115841.jpg

Last edited:
^^ Love the colors... is that the one company that you can go online and customize basically everything (colorwise) on the bike as part of the sales package?

Shakedown ride and then some have happened on the Thumper... and all I can say is DAMN THIS THING IS FAST!!! Have picked up at least 1 new PR each ride, couple on climbs but most are on the downhills. Seriously a sick bike but I am upgrade rotors to bigger as it will be going with my to Colorado (front range, steamboat) next month and will be utilized quite a bit there! Want to ensure that I have adequate stopping power.

20140822_101940 - Copy.jpg

2015 Stumpy FSR Elite 29 to replace my stolen one.

So far - I'll take my 2012, but I've got a bit of tuning to see if I can dial it in better. The big differences are the '15 has a brain and a pike compared to my 12 that had a Triad and Revelation 140. As of my first two rides on the new one I'll say I like the triad and revelation better. Not making a final call yet. Gotta put a few more miles on before a final decision. First impressions are: Brain sucks - feels like a rear with a platform and a s***load of stiction. Wallows when set too soft. Just doesn't work as well yet as the triad with my own adjustments.

The pike is plenty stiff, but had a lot more stiction than the revelation and less initial plushness. I think it'll be a lot better for my riding with a volume spacer and less air pressure. Next trip I'll give it a try. I also ran the tires at higher pressure because they're new and the first couple rides tubeless I don't want them burping and want to get them seated well. That might explain some of the difference too.

Yeah pretty sure that you still have some break-in time for the fork and shock. I have heard a lot of people that think the brain system sucks for the rear but some that like it. If nothing else ride it like you stole it and then sell the bastard off and build your own bike. Really liking my 11 Revelation so far which I was rather surprised with. Now I am just going through the tuning of the fork/shock to get everything setup properly and to my liking. I am sure you have seen my build thread on MTBR so I am wondering if I should upgrade the damper of the Rev to the newer RCT3 (about $120) vs the old RLT (which is basically the RL now). Since you were running a Rev before, you have any thoughts?

Yeah pretty sure that you still have some break-in time for the fork and shock. I have heard a lot of people that think the brain system sucks for the rear but some that like it. If nothing else ride it like you stole it and then sell the bastard off and build your own bike. Really liking my 11 Revelation so far which I was rather surprised with. Now I am just going through the tuning of the fork/shock to get everything setup properly and to my liking. I am sure you have seen my build thread on MTBR so I am wondering if I should upgrade the damper of the Rev to the newer RCT3 (about $120) vs the old RLT (which is basically the RL now). Since you were running a Rev before, you have any thoughts?
Just saw this. I have seen your build. My revelation was an RLT. To be 100% honest, I know this is MTB blasphemy, but so far I kinda like the Revelation better. The problem with the Pike IMO is that it's a 160mm shock setup at 130, and once it's set to start at 20%ish sag, we're sitting at 110ishmm. It rides like a 160mm fork mid stroke. The first 50mm of plush travel just aren't there. I still need time to play with it moving around tokens and pressures. With three "tokens" (air spacers) in it, at the recommended psi I get no sag at all. I have to drop down to around 60psi to get even 20% sag. Possibly I'm not getting any air in the negative chamber? Anyway the RLT damper was the best fork I've ever ridden - but take that with a grain of salt because my comparison on bikes I've owned and ridden a lot are limited to a Pike, a Tower Pro (also very good), a reba SL dual air, and a coil spring Dart 3.

I rode a bunch this weekend including a trail called the bobsled in SLC, UT. It's a long downhill trail with big (in my book) dirt jumps - like over abandoned cars. Pike was just fine - stiffness is exceptional, but even there I felt the dampening of the revelation was better. I hated the brain. Can't wait to get rid of it. Since the monarch plus is now sold for the SJ evo, I'm gonna buy one and see how it is on the normal SJ. The difference in frames leverage is around 3%, so I think it will work just fine. I'll find out. Worst case I'll have to buy an evo link for another $100. Really wish the evo model specs were published for '15 because I probably could have gotten one without the brain for a little less $ and me and my insurance co. would be happier.

Edit: So yesterday I got on my bike to take my dog for a quick ride around the 'hood and I was thinking about the pike dampening and how disspointed I was. Started playing with the settings - I'm not sure if it happened on the downhill or what, but it has no dampening whatsoever anymore. No matter where I adjust it, nothing. just an air pogostick. So I'm thinking I got a bad fork and whatever was wrong is now totally blown - probably just a valve jammed open or something. Anyway I'm going to make a few phone calls later today to figure out whether I send it back to RS, Specialized, or take it to my LBS for a repair/replacement. Maybe when its working properly it's better?

Last edited:
That Ti Vaya up there is RAD!

Here is my Surly Disc Trucker (love this bike) this is up in crystal cove in Orange County. (since it has gotten an old XTR rear der.)
IMG_1345.JPG
IMG_1350.JPG

Here is my VooDoo Bokor... has since been retired, found a crack in the drive side rear dropout.
IMG_1327.JPG
IMG_1324.JPG

I am now in the process of acquiring parts to build a SWEET 1x10 Ragley Piglet2 :)
So far...
-Chris King ISO hubs, Mavic 819 rims
-2014 Fox Float Factory w/ CTD and Kashima
-10 spd XT rear shadow der
-RaceFace Narrow wide front ring (NO CHAIN GUIDE :) )
-XTR Cranks and BB
-Avid Elixer CR brakes
...still will need to pick up stem and seat post (but ill use some donor components from other bikes for now)

IMG_1210.JPG

^^^ Look at ChainReactionCycles and Ribble as they have been having some great deals lately. Jenson has been matching CRC too so might be worth a shot but you have to call for the price match, can't use the automated system.

^^^ Look at ChainReactionCycles and Ribble as they have been having some great deals lately. Jenson has been matching CRC too so might be worth a shot but you have to call for the price match, can't use the automated system.

Thanks man! I actually got my frame from CRC (came in the mail yesterday!) and just ordered a Thomson post and clamp, and an avid post mount spacer set from Jenson. Both great companies. Been ordering from jenson for years.

I went into the Jenson shop a few weeks ago (im local-ish), those dudes are rad. Friendliest bike shop I've ever been too, AND they had EVERYTHING.

Yeah usually Jenson is my first stop when I am looking for parts, then I will search around based on their availability and price. Always had good luck with them and have had stellar service. I have ordered a bit from Cambria and they are hit or miss, really depends on who you get on the phone.

Santa Cruz Tallboy Carbon & Jamis Dakar. On the ONLY vehicle that should be...
IMG_0060.JPG

IMG_0529.JPG

And when I feel the need for speed and distance...

IMG_0043.JPG

Very nice pics butch. Yep, we take RV to base camp, load cruiser drive in till we can't go no more, then on two wheels! Better half and I go anywhere dogs and all. BOB trailers whatever... Been some amazing places even cruisers can't get to ;)
IMG_0553.JPG

IMG_0524.JPG

IMG_0142.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0142.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 112
Very nice pics butch. Yep, we take RV to base camp, load cruiser drive in till we can't go no more, then on two wheels! Better half and I go anywhere dogs and all. BOB trailers whatever... Been some amazing places even cruisers can't get to ;)

Awesome! We really enjoy checking out gravel roads on our bikes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom