$14,000 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No, no, no, I have a Mazda 3 for fast, foolish driving on curved back roads and my MGBGT project is crawling forwards far slower than the car will ever be when it's done.
I've got an '07 F150 gas-guzzler that is too big to take off road. I will sell it to help fund the BJ74.
I will have to drive from Virginia to the Rockies so I need to manage the highway but that is not the main objective
The goal is to bounce around off road, scrape against tree branches and maneuver up places where most people don't get to go. But not rock crawling.

Joekatana - Did you buy the cruiser without seeing it in person first? That is the situation I think I am in.

Canarias- I believe the BJ74 IS the BJ73 with a 13BT engine.

Every Cruiser that I have owned ( 3 from Australia and 3 from Canada ) were purchased without a personal inspection.
If you know what you are looking for and are dealing with an honest seller ( don't be afraid to ask for references ) you can feel comfortable buying "sight unseen". Ask for detailed photos and if the seller is reluctant to provide them, then just go in another direction. You should however be able to find a 'MUD member who is willing to take a look at a U.S. or Canada based Cruiser.
Good luck .....

[QUOTE="jblueridge, post: 9330557, member: 101514"
Oh, what's the word on the FRP removable tops? Is that a desirable feature?[/QUOTE]

I would consider it a desirable feature if you live in the right environment to take advantage of going topless. Other than rust, replacing basic stuff like cooling system components, starter, alternator, etc. may be necessary at some time in the near future. Maybe axle rebuilds at some point, though you could probably ignore this for a long time. Hopefully the price plus a couple thousand set aside should work, but hard to say.

Depending on what country it came from, I agree with rick_d that cooling could be a issue. Also check the places 1Ton said about rust. Windshield area usually leaks causing this and also under the fender flares.

Yes I bought it sight unseen,there where like a 100 pics on there webpage of it and I just need the drivetrain for a future BJ74 with BJ43 body build.

The one I bought had some rust wich was clearly showed in the pics but still better then what I have seen in Europe and came with the factory cable lockers!!!!

The lockers with the 13BT and the PTO winch made me buy it,fact is that these rigs are mecanicly so reliable that unless something funny is going one you should not be afraid to buy it sight unseen (get some pics) from a trusthworthy seller...and this was the first I bought from Steve but there probably be more in the future if I can get my hands on decent 43 Bodys that is.

:rimshot:
image.jpg
No, no, no, I have a Mazda 3 for fast, foolish driving on curved back roads and my MGBGT project is crawling forwards far slower than the car will ever be when it's done.
I've got an '07 F150 gas-guzzler that is too big to take off road. I will sell it to help fund the BJ74.
I will have to drive from Virginia to the Rockies so I need to manage the highway but that is not the main objective
The goal is to bounce around off road, scrape against tree branches and maneuver up places where most people don't get to go. But not rock crawling.

Joekatana - Did you buy the cruiser without seeing it in person first? That is the situation I think I am in.

Canarias- I believe the BJ74 IS the BJ73 with a 13BT engine.

This is the proper environment for a diesel Land Cruiser. :)

Joekatana -Thanks a lot for that last post. I had formed a good impression of Steve just from reading here and other places.

1978HJ45 - Thanks for confirming my gut feeling about these vehicles.

Basic, non-cable lockers are electric or manual? My '90 F150 had manual front lockers, I didn't mind that really.

The lockers we are talking about are the differential lockers ,not the freewheels to engage front wheel drive.I already went to check out a few Cruisers where the owner told me it had lockers,just to see when I arrived that it had manual freewheels ;(

The OEM factory cable lockers is a very sought after option if you want to use it for some serious offroad,if not I would not let this make my decision.

Joe

i bet they told you it has ZERO rust too. There will be rust but you never know where or how much unless you inspect every inch yourself

I've never owned a 4WD with a locking diff. The F150 I have now has limited slip in the rear.

Actually, your Ford HAS a locking differential. LSDs are locking differentials, just not manually selected.
Actually LSDs are just that, Limited Slip Differentials. They do not lock, they limit the amount of slip between the two axles. Some lsds are better at doing this than others. Landcruisers are notorious for having rubbish lsds.

Autolockers on the other hand are a completely different story

Just to clarify

Wiki

Automotive limited-slip differentials all contain a few basic elements. First, all have a gear train that, like an open differential, allows the output shafts to spin at different speeds while holding the sum of their speeds proportional to that of the input shaft.

Second, all have some sort of mechanism that applies a torque (internal to the differential) that resists the relative motion of the output shafts. In simple terms, this means they have some mechanism which resists a speed difference between the outputs, by creating a resisting torque between either the two outputs, or the outputs and the differential housing. There are many mechanisms used to create this resisting torque. The type of limited-slip differential typically gets its name from the design of this resisting mechanism. Examples include viscous and clutch-based LSDs. The amount of limiting torque provided by these mechanisms varies by design and is discussed later in the article.

I have not been super-impressed with the limited slip in this F150 I've got. I never bothered to research how it applies friction to the spider or gears in there.

For a BJ74 without factory cable lockers, only certain axle type can accept if I want to add them later?

Actually LSDs are just that, Limited Slip Differentials. They do not lock, they limit the amount of slip between the two axles. Some lsds are better at doing this than others. Landcruisers are notorious for having rubbish lsds.

Autolockers on the other hand are a completely different story
Duly noted, I stand (sit) corrected.

Smart *ss....... :moon:

Nossir. My response to your photo was intended as a reflection of sincere and vicarious joy at the 75 under power in lovely surroundings. I only use emoticons when NOT being sarcastic. :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom