Rear brake help please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2006 GX470 and I recently noticed the back brakes squealing. Upon further inspection, I found some rotor damage. I decided to change the rotors, pads and calipers on all four corners as preventative maintenance. Today, as I pulled into the garage I noticed a burning smell and sure enough my back brakes are sticking. I would appreciate any feedback you guys can offer concerning what might be the cause.

I'm pretty familiar with stuck calipers, and I have already used the search tool. More specifically, I guess I should ask if anyone knows why both back brakes would stick after installing new rotors, brake pads, calipers and bleeding the system. I read on another forum that I might have a problem with a valve between the master cylinder and the back brakes but I couldn't find specific information so I thought I would ask here.

One more bit of information. I have the 470 on jack stands right now and I can spin the wheels by hand with basically no resistance.

One more bit of information. I have the 470 on jack stands right now and I can spin the wheels by hand with basically no resistance.

Ahh so not parking brake related then?

That a GX or LX you're working on?

Ah, I thought you meant you were contemplating changing all of that, didn't pick up that you'd already done it. That's lot to blow on just squealing brakes. So, you say you know they're sticking but you can move them?

Well, I didn't have much choice on changing the rear rotors, they were shot. So I went ahead and changed the front also. I thought my problem was with the rear calipers so I changed them. My rear pads were worn completely out, my front ones were in good shape but I thought I would change them also, just so I would be starting out fresh with pads and rotors on all corners.

I did not change the front calipers, they are just fine.

I can't really understand what is going on. It seems like my rear brakes may be intermittently engaging while I am driving.

My ABS light is not on, if that matters.

The emergency brake works fine and does not stick.

I dont know how they are sticking if you can turn them when jacked up. I don't know how bad the smell is but it is normal for a new brake and rotor install to have a strong smell when new until the surfaces mate. I can't give much advise otherwise as I have never worked on a gx. I think that shares platform with the 4runner. Might want to ask those guys.

Ive gt the same issue...my rear brakes have worn out and are now grinding on metal. I put new pads and rotors on in oct. so only about 8k miles on this set. I believe there is a valve of some sort in the brake system that compensates when ride height changes since it thinks its towing but i have no idea...any one have more info?

LSPV. Look at your brake lines at the back axle. You will see them go into/out of a valve. That valve has a rod attached to it. If you adjust it to level, the truck thinks it is not carrying a load and it is fine. If it is down, it is thinking it is light and will force more to the front. If it is up, it thinks it is heavy and will force more to the back. I think (in my brother's case) it may be forced down with all his heavy gear on softer springs.

Hey Stonnie,
Did you ever get this resolved? I have the exact same symptoms as you. I put a new set of rear pads on and they wore our quickly (6 months) and were metal on metal. I replaced them and the rotors and find the back brakes sticking on intermittently. I was about to replace the calipers, but from reading this that isn't necessarily going to fix the problem. Thanks,
Lindsay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom