chain size/grade for trail use (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just brought sythenic winch line from Steve (southeast overland) great guy to deal with. I wanted to get a 10 foot chain for the trail in case I might encounter a big boulder or tree blocking the road. I would use the chain to wrap around it instead on the rope. I can use a strap but he rock my cut it.
what chain grade or size should I get?

The better the steel grade, the smaller and lighter the chain would be for the same rating I suspect. So you have a (limited) choice there.

Anyway, the answer to your question would seem to depend on the size of boulder or tree you'll need to move. I have both chains and straps. Personally, I'd rather use a tree strap and protect it than carry a heavy chain around. Some small carpets could be used to good effect for that and also be useful in the truck. Or make some protecting sleeves. Easier, some old jeans legs could be useful for stuff like that if a bit cosmetically unappealing.

Same rating as your winch line.

I use my tree saver for stuff like that.

Jeans as protecting sleeve is a good idea never thought of that, thanks. I'll just save the money for a chain and use my straps with jeans or carpet for protection

Thanks for the kind words! To answer the chain question I would say that you want a chain that is as strong or stronger than the winch line (3/8" winch line average break strength is 19,600) and grade 70 or stronger. If you went with a lighter duty chain and it broke while under load you could end up having a projectile on your hands. We prefer to use a strap just cause they are lighter, cheaper and safer.

Jeff

I don't think you want chain. First rule - NEVER jerk a chain, it will break. Experience has taught me that you're not going to
gently pull a rock or tree off the road. You're going to treat it like a stuck truck; back up and give it a big yank.
Buy a cheap ( read somewhat disposable ) snatch strap. Then if you wrap that around the rock/tree, and the winch thing
isn't working, you are being a bit more safe. Also, snatch strap weighs 2 lbs??, chain 20 lbs??
I have an older 2"x30' pro comp strap for this, much nicer to carry and use. FWIW

even straps are not intended to use as snatch strap have some tolerance for snatch .. chains don't placing great stress on anchor point or frame.

I carry a 10' section of grade 110(lifting) 3/8 chain with a slip hook on one end, and a grab hook on the other. I was pulling a corolla out of a snowy ditch and none of my shackles would fit in the tie down point of the corolla. A passerby had the same chain I am describing and the slip hook was the only thing that would work. I ordered one the next day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom