Rolling the dice on this fridge 63QQT $270 shipped (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Let's see some pics of that 80qt!
Not the best shot, I was in the middle of loading for my trip. This is positioned as if the second row seats were in. I have it located directly behind the driver seat which will be where it spends most of its time.

image.jpg

Very nice! Have fun at gold lake. We were just there a few weeks ago! Had a blast

Thanks @LFD2037 !

The PO took it apart and apparently soldered some wires to the leads behind the factory plug to get rid of the 12v wire. Also found this on expeditionportal:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ipped?p=1457416&highlight=stopped#post1457416

I'll pull her apart and tighten things up. Thanks again!

Let me know how you do. Mine runs on 120v ok but on 12v just cycles a few times and stops - like gives up. will talk to them tomorrow but will look instead and see if anything obvious

Did a direct connection off the battery (eliminated the default Edgestar twin-cord and my 'connector' that was going to the batteyr) and working fine now. So my 'connector' was the issue. Was only temporary to test on 12v it was working. Final wiring yet to be connected up so no worries.

Here's some cladding I created, as going to be on the road for a year (see sig line). Dent on side. colors wonky with flash on & off
edgestar_dent_email.jpg covered_fridge_1.jpg covered_fridge_2.jpg covered_fridge_open4.jpg covered_fridge_open5.jpg

Nice what did you use double sided tape? 3M?

Didn't. I used alu. type backed sticky foil. What you pickup in Lowes when doing ducting work.

Is anybody selling the tie-down 'brackets' that mount behind, or in place of, the handles? I need a set.

Is anybody selling the tie-down 'brackets' that mount behind, or in place of, the handles? I need a set.

You can make a set pretty easy with some 12ga steel, drill, vise, and a grinder. I wouldn't hesitate to tie down my fridge by the metal handles though.

image.jpg

No action lately, anyone see any deals coming through on the scratch and dent overstock.com site?

Maybe MUD cleared them out!?:hillbilly:

Finally going camping with the fridge and the deep cycle set up. Its parked in the driveway now in 100 temps plugged into the 12 volt recepticle. Looks to be doing fine, I'll hook up 120 overnight and chill it down even more. So many options now.

Can't wait to head up to the cool country with the group from Copper State Cruisers and beat the heat :cool:

I may have to snag a 63 if I come across one. Loving this 80 at home and in the truck but can't pass a great deal!

IMG_9499.JPG
Finally going camping with the fridge and the deep cycle set up. Its parked in the driveway now in 100 temps plugged into the 12 volt recepticle. Looks to be doing fine, I'll hook up 120 overnight and chill it down even more. So many options now.

Can't wait to head up to the cool country with the group from Copper State Cruisers and beat the heat :cool:

A trip report: camping/ wheeling with a fridge was "next level" of convienence :D
One of the items picked up through this very thread was the upgrade to the Diehard Platinum 31M deep cycle battery that literally has more reserve than two stock batteries.
So I put it to the test :
Upon pulling into camp, the fridge had been set at 42 degrees . I turned off the truck but left the key in the "on" position for the next 5 hours with the doors open to play the stereo. The battery had to power the fridge, amp, deck, door and dome lights (although leds), and charge a phone from dead to full from the cig lighter. The fridge ran from when I parked until we popped the hood in the am. I never re started the truck from when we initially parked 12 hours earlier. Curious, we tested the battery after all that and it was still at an amazing 12.42 volts.
In my mind between this and my lithium micro starter for emergency back up, I'll never need to go a dual set up. This is simpler, less connections to fail, and no expense on the accessories and parts to install the dual set up. I use the other front side of my radiator already for my Methanol jug so this works for space and weight too.

I strongly recommend it *

Last edited:
I think I may have found a replacement cord that will work with the edgestar (that doesn't cost $70). I was digging around in my old computer crap and found a 2 pole cord that goes to a laptop charger. The one I have doesn't have a keyed end, and while I think it would work, I'm not going to chance plugging it in the wrong way.

I want to hardwire the cord for my LX and keep the original cigarette lighter cord for my other car. I think this cord from Amazon will work, just have to be sure to make it up to the vehicle side properly since the positive and negative cords aren't colored. For reference, I believe it is a C7 polarized plug end.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017UCTX8/?tag=ihco-20

This graphic in this video has it backwards, but they explain it correctly I believe.

Finally got around to hardwiring the 12v cord for my fridge (which I should have done to being with). It's much improved not having to worry about the "locking" plug and outlet disconnecting when I'm on the road. I empty a tank of gas before I stop sometimes and a hot fridge is irritating.

The above refrenced amazon cord & plug works. Just cut off the 110 plug and make up the ends to the electrical system... Be sure to note the polarity of the fridge.... The cord that came with the fridge is color-coded, so you can use that to determine the + & - .

I needed an additional cord I could hard wire because I want to keep the cigarette style plug for use in my other vehicle.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom