No spark (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1408659239.453206.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1408659402.207929.jpg

A little background...

Just installed a used points dizzy in my 77' FJ40. Bran new points and condenser. Points gapped correctly, plugs gapped correctly. Continuity in all plug wires and rotor. (0 ohms). Engine block grounded. I am getting 12 VDC at the ignition wire. I had the coil tested and it is good. When I hook the ignition wire up to + and distributor wire to - I get nothing on the multimeter. Also no spark when I crank it over. This same dizzy worked in another Fj40, so I am not sure what is going on.

More background.... I initially hooked the wires up backwards (ignition to - and dizzy wire to +) and I think I fried the points/condenser which is why I replaced.

Where should I go from here?

...via IH8MUD app

Remove the ignition wire from the + side of the coil and run a wire from the + coil to the battery +. Check for spark when you crank the engine. If you have a spark, there is a bad connection in the ignition wire somewhere.

If you get no spark, turn the engine until the points are open and then momentarily ground across the point with a screwdriver and check for spark.
If you get a spark, the points are bad. If no spark, bad distributor ground to distributor case or case to block. Try grounding the - side to the battery minus post.

From your picture, it looks like the rubbing block is on a high point on the cam but the points don't look open (or at least not very open).
Are you sure the points are adjusted properly?

I noticed that it is a Delco distributor. Those are notoriously bad for a Toyota engine unless someone changed the cam gear, which is unlikely. Please get a Toyota distributor and make sure that you have oil pressure before you start it.

Umm...what kind of engine is in your FJ40?

Not really sure why someone would use a GM points distributor to replace a Toyota points?

Thanks for the replies and tech guys! I bought my 75' with this dizzy in it and decided to take it out and put it in my 77'. Everything i have heard is that it is a POS. I am going to pull it and put a Toyota distributor in it. Thanks again!

...via IH8MUD app

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom