Tic remedies (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
found an abandoned puppy on the roadside the other day. boy dog, possibly a setter/black lab mix, about 2-3 months old, based on teeth and lack of balls, and about 12 pounds- he's gained a couple by now. Skin and bones, foxtails, fleas and tics and I couldn't leave him. So by now, our dogs have accepted him fully, the kids are in love and the wife wants to be done with the tics; the hundreds and hundreds of tics. I am not a rich man and the guy's gunna hafto wait before seein the vet and getting some real medication. He is fully mobile, eating drinking, pooping decent and most importantly, he's playful and energetic. I have picked up some spray application frontline from the vet, but was hoping for anyone with this type of experience to offer some guidance. thank you.

found an abandoned puppy on the roadside the other day. boy dog, possibly a setter/black lab mix, about 2-3 months old, based on teeth and lack of balls, and about 12 pounds- he's gained a couple by now. Skin and bones, foxtails, fleas and tics and I couldn't leave him. So by now, our dogs have accepted him fully, the kids are in love and the wife wants to be done with the tics; the hundreds and hundreds of tics. I am not a rich man and the guy's gunna hafto wait before seein the vet and getting some real medication. He is fully mobile, eating drinking, pooping decent and most importantly, he's playful and energetic. I have picked up some spray application frontline from the vet, but was hoping for anyone with this type of experience to offer some guidance. thank you.
NexGard Chewables ..... We use this product on a 20 pound and 60 pound dog with good results.

OK...we had researched this same stuff last night and were wondering how to go about treating the other dogs as well; one is 13 and about 80 pounds, another at about 6 months and 30+ pounds, and now this puppy- Roadie, or F.O.R.D.( but not till we think he'll be around for awhile on the latter option)...we were seeing that we would need to get 3, 3 packs- one for each weight class...some further trolling taught us that those chews cannot be cut down for a smaller dose as a pill could be due to the fact that the meds weren't evenly distributed thru-out the chew, so my wife asked me what about getting a bunch of light weight range chews and doubling or tripling the does for the larger dogs...we have made a vet app for wednsday and will ask there, but I thought I'd thro that thought out for opinions...the frontline spray did ok and made a difference...and he's got plenty of spunk in him- he seems to be getting better not worse so fingers crossed and Thanks for the tip and any further thoughts

The product is sold based on the approximate weight of the dog. If you are going to treat a number of dogs you will want to find a cheaper source for this product. It is VERY expensive when purchased from your local Vet.
image.jpg

Last edited:
thanksHJ,; Creeker, do the guinea foul eat the ticks in the environment, or ??? how do they taste? do they lay? inquiring minds need to no

roadie is doin GREAT...got his first shot and some wormer...the frontline spray actually works and we are 99% tick free and no fleas to be seen. he got to come in finally at the end of the day with his bigger doggy brother and sister...

Guineas eat anything moving in the field, or your neighbors field, down the road. They like to travel. Good eating, too. Noisy and like to roost right above your vehicles. Nobody will sneak up on you.

Good for you, picking up a stray. I've had a lot of " show up dogs and cats ", over the years. Had three cows show up, years ago. It took months to find the owner.

yeah, I knew what was up the second I saw him there; really didn't need the added expense, but what do you do, right?

so, do those hens lay, or just poop and bray?

Yes, what scrapdaddy said. Guineas are very adventurous, a bit wild, and will make their nest wherever they want if you let them. If they have a good secure coop, you can round them up and drive them in at night, like sheep. The eggs are very good, but guineas aren't as particular about where they lay as chickens are. And guineas are LOUD! Don't get them if you have uptight neighbors.

They will absolutely keep the tick population down.

Congrats on the stray. We're flirting with the idea of picking up a rescue as our 2nd dog. If a stray wandered into our life, that would solve that!

Chickens work well for eating ticks, etc., also. Not as tough as the guineas, though. I've been told they keep the snakes at bay and will eat one if given the chance.

Anytime my dogs have gotten tics on them, and some pretty well embedded, putting a couple drops of teatree oil on them makes them freak out and back their way out where death is waiting for them. Not sure about the practicality in your situation but I've found it really effective.

yes, teatree oil...we should have a vat of that, but we don't for some reason...Progress report is the dog is doing great and tic free after much effort and no other meds besides the frontline spray. he is a happy dog, and we are glad.

Chickens work well for eating ticks, etc., also. Not as tough as the guineas, though. I've been told they keep the snakes at bay and will eat one if given the chance.

True.......my problem is we have a healthy hawk and owl population.

:) he is spoiled rotten and lovin it...he's getting big, too. I think we were supposed to find each other...I'll bet he misses his balls tho...

the kids said NO to F.O.R.D....something they didn't like about the acronym; we settled on roadside, roadie for short...

Wow, I can see "THANK YOU" written all over Roadie's face!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom