My New GX-470 - Tires? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Finally bought my "new" '04 GX with only 75K! First things first. TIRES! Was looking at all the great post and I seem to have settled on 285/70/17's (Probably Nitto Terras). Anyone rubbing issues with this set up without a lift or leveling kit?

Thanks in advance!

Take a hard look at the Duratracs. They really are the best tires I have ever had on any of my trucks.

Thanks for the input!

I was looking at the Duratracs and let my brother talk me in the Nittos. You may have just swayed me back to Duras.

I wonder if the 265/70's would be a better fit. It'll probably be a while before I get a lift but need tires now.

Thanks for the input!

I was looking at the Duratracs and let my brother talk me in the Nittos. You may have just swayed me back to Duras.

I wonder if the 265/70's would be a better fit. It'll probably be a while before I get a lift but need tires now.

Those are exactly what I'm running and they were fine with no lift, rubbing a tiny bit on full lock in reverse but otherwise grip like stink. They hum just a little bit and dropped my already crummy MPG by about 1 to 1.5. Honestly, now that I am lifting it, I kinda want 285 after watching my father's tundra run the same trails as I did but on 285s and just rolling over everything.

That's what I'm worried about in getting the 265's now is sitting there staring at them and wishing they were 285's haha. I think the 265's will do me good though.

I just lost 2.5 miles per gallon becuase of the 285s which i really did not care .$1600 later i am so unhappy with these 285/70/17 e rated tires they are destroying my GX .instead of tires hauling the GX i am hauling them and paying for it. what a disappointment vibration shack wobble these tires made me chase my tail thinking it was ujoin,drive shaft, dynamic dampening in transfer case causing vibration , all along was these tires 400 miles on them and they are garbage. sad thing a bout is i just spent good amount of money up grading the suspension ,get a winch and build winch bracket cut the bumper build rock slider .

let me correct that $1600 for Nitto tires and rhino imprial wheels .by the way stevobevo36 if I may recommend when it comes to up grade go to 285/60/18 wheels and tires much nicer combo than 285/70/17 almost same money .

Another option is 255/75-17s... Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 500 mile take-offs run in the $400-700 range on Craigslist usually.

let me correct that $1600 for Nitto tires and rhino imprial wheels .by the way stevobevo36 if I may recommend when it comes to up grade go to 285/60/18 wheels and tires much nicer combo than 285/70/17 almost same money .
That's interesting because my father ran 285/75/16 Michelin LT/S on his Tundra for 100,000 miles without a wobble (one of them didn't even need to balance). He now has 285/70/17 Nitto's on it and thinks they're just as round and smooth; not any better and not worse. I know this is all apples and oranges but, are you getting rid of yours for the 18 inchers? If so, let us know what you find.

I put a set of 285 Terras on my FJ and I don't like them. They do wobble and off-road they feeling more bouncy than prior 265s I have run. All E rated. Maybe I just never got used to them but with my old Geolandars it was like the tires were my feet. Could feel the rocks. I'm looking hard at Duratracs and AT2s for next time!

Even so the problem you are experiencing may very well be wheels. Cheap, wide, heavy wheels really can do a number regardless of tire and tire size.

Cooper ST MAXX, They have a superb tread life and the traction is there in any terrain you can take them on. They got me home during the freak Atlanta ice storm and the have very tough sidewalls. I have never been let down once off road or on pavement.

There is saying make sure don't buy car that was made on Friday or Monday may these tires and wheels I bought fall in the same category

up date with tire situation : I talk to friend of mine that was willing to spend couple hours of his time to swap his wheels and tires with mine so after that we test drive my GX and it was the happy time knowing that it was the tire and wheel combination( 285/70/17 Nitto terra grappler 10 ply and those rhino black wheels ) and not mechanical problems that made my vehicle vibrate so bad now comes the hard part having the small tire shop take them back after 600 miles I drove on them of course all along 4 times I did complaint a bout it but you know how it is these days service is out ball park (unless you are in china)and no body gives a damn . I learn lesson Discount tires from now on and if the tire shop take them back what wheel a tire combo?

I had the Nitto Terra Grapplers on my Tundra (295/60/20, about 34x11.5, E load) and I LOVED them. Best riding and quietest "off-road" tires I have ever owned. Had a decent amount of miles on them too and they still looked brand new. I have been looking at those, Duratracs (per many recommendations like @DanKunz's), and a couple of others for my next purchase.

well here was the problem that caused all that headache and waste of time apparently they used a ring that goes around the hub to center the center the wheel the ring was going inside of the center of the wheel nice and tight and than they would mount the wheel on the hub the problem with these rings was they were made of hard plastic (expand/contract) and also they were lose around the hub .once they machined the O ring out of alminum and made sure they fit tight around the hub and wheel the problem was solved what a nightmare. for those that buy rhino imperial wheels please make sure not use the hard plastic rings.

well here was the problem that caused all that headache and waste of time apparently they used a ring that goes around the hub to center the center the wheel the ring was going inside of the center of the wheel nice and tight and than they would mount the wheel on the hub the problem with these rings was they were made of hard plastic (expand/contract) and also they were lose around the hub .once they machined the O ring out of alminum and made sure they fit tight around the hub and wheel the problem was solved what a nightmare. for those that buy rhino imperial wheels please make sure not use the hard plastic rings.

I've seen those type of problems a lot. Usually the spacer either fits the wheel or the hub correctly but not the other. Toyota wheels are hub centric. So the lug nuts don't center the wheel. It needs to be centered before you tighten it down. Glad you got it figured out.

255/80/17 km2 mt's siped on my gx do really well everywhere

1408993987090.jpg

^those pizza cutters look at home on the gx!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom