8274 Wiring - Switch only spools in (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ccasteel

SILVER Star
Threads
So last year I found that my switch spooled out when I selected "in," and it spooled in when I selected "out." So in addition to replacing some seals since it was leaking I attempted to correct the wiring.

My solenoids were wired up just as in the picture. (Stolen from here) So I figured I could simply switch the brown wire coming from the switch and going to solenoid 4 with the green wire coming from the switch going to solenoid 3.

Seemed to do the trick with no load. But, once I started to spool up my cable I noticed the winch spooling in with the switch pressed in either direction.

I'm going to try getting at it again today and just switch the wires back to see if I have bi directional capability, even if it's the wrong direction. Any other thoughts?

solenoid%20pack.jpg

Your rope isn't bound up on the spool, is it? If it's caught between adjacent wraps, it will always seem to spool in. Just a thought, without looking at the wiring.

So last year I found that my switch spooled out when I selected "in," and it spooled in when I selected "out." So in addition to replacing some seals since it was leaking I attempted to correct the wiring.

My solenoids were wired up just as in the picture. (Stolen from here) So I figured I could simply switch the brown wire coming from the switch and going to solenoid 4 with the green wire coming from the switch going to solenoid 3.

Seemed to do the trick with no load. But, once I started to spool up my cable I noticed the winch spooling in with the switch pressed in either direction.

I'm going to try getting at it again today and just switch the wires back to see if I have bi directional capability, even if it's the wrong direction. Any other thoughts?

View attachment 929648

I hear what you're saying, but I can see the drum spinning the same direction regardless of the switch setting. So it's not the line getting stuck. I forgot to add, I went ahead and switched the wires back and it still only spools in. At least I would have expected it to only spool out. Here's a pick of my actual wiring after I switched the black and green back. Open to any and all thoughts.

100_1791.JPG
100_1794.JPG

Bad solenoid(s).

Yep! Upon further investigation, the PO rebuilt with starter solenoids. So now I need to find the no longer available 2040 solenoid. Does anyone have a part number for a suitable replacement. An Albright is too much work to get done correctly, before I'm headed to Tornado Alley's Fall Crawl.

I *think* these solenoids would work:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008R1T5IM/?tag=ihco-20

I have not done it, but I did research it pretty well when I got my #2 8274. But it turned out the existing solenoids were fine.

You need a 12 volt continuous duty solenoid, that is small enough to fit in the box, and capable of flowing as much current as possible. If you try them, please post up.

Thanks for the input. I had heard of the Warn's good customer service, so I gave them a call a couple days ago. I shot that link by him, and instead of saying those would be acceptable, he's sending me a set of used but working solenoids that will bolt right in. That is why Warn will be my winch of choice from here on out. I've heard of their great customer service, but this was more than I expected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom