James Baroud RTT review (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes you can Phil.

Cons:
  • Not easy for one person to get the front down to pre-latch position. Not sure if it gets easier with time/practice, but I'm going to have to make some more attempts here at home before I head out somewhere on my own and then get stuck! Once the two front latches are 'caught' but not locked, the rest is easy from the rear tailgate.

View attachment 905432

My Evasion Evolution closes easily now as long as one simple rule is followed: Take great care in gathering the tent material and pushing it OVER THE TOP of the articulating hinges as you close the tent. Letting any material gather in between the scissored arms or below them will make closing extremely difficult.

My issue is just more 'breaking' the front in the first place to start coming down at all. Those struts are pretty stiff.

I'm running a James Baroud Nomad 160 RTT and as noted above, the major con is price. It's definitely not a tent for the "budget conscious". However, I've had the chance to sleep in a number of different RTTs across a wide-spectrum based on cost and quality and I have to say, the James Baroud options are absolutely top-notch with a quality only rivaled by the Maggiolina RTTs.

Breathability is superb, setup time is super quick with the Nomad 160, and it's quite roomy for a small family. I'll have some more commentary on it in our fifth issue so stay tuned. :)

My issue is just more 'breaking' the front in the first place to start coming down at all. Those struts are pretty stiff.
After closely watching and then mimicking the instructional videos, I found I could wrap the pull-down cord around a forearm and easily push down on the top of the roof corner with the other to 'break' the strut thus initiating the closing sequence. A protective foam pad is placed behind the ladder leaning on the vehicle when climbing to the necessary height. Again, gathering fabric ABOVE the doenward scissoring strut is of prime importance.

Yeah, well, my struts must be extra heavy duty, cause it take two people to pull the front down. If I try pulling on one side by myself, it just starts to bind.

Yeah, well, my struts must be extra heavy duty, cause it take two people to pull the front down. If I try pulling on one side by myself, it just starts to bind.

I understand, I was finally able to do it quickly myself by climbing high enough on the ladder to get my forearm on top of the roof corner and use my bodyweight to break the strut free. After that, and tucking repeatedly all around, it became manageable. I think the Evasion Evolution struts used may have been engineered with a significantly higher 'spring rate' based on accommodating a similar sized but heavier Explorer Evolution burdened with an eighty pound spare tire carried on the roof. Comment from Baroud here?

I was ready to rip out the fabric on the struts and downsize the strut gas springs myself before using this new technique.
Definitely not a one man job to take down this tent at first, even with what is left of my substantial upper body strength as I am a seasoned citizen.

IMHO this is the main design flaw of the tent, and also the fear that the full load bearing plastic (reinforced) ladder rungs will fail breaking my foot/legs while out solo. Relocating the elastic tent side gathering attach points to pull up and gather material OVER the scissor strut tops is a strong third. Otherwise a great product, a secure safe place to sleep as long as I'm not getting shot at! LOL

Sorry, I can't see the logic in the design of this tent. Almost everyone in this thread that has one or has tried to close the tent has complained about it. There must be a lot of stress on the mounts, we'll see how long that lasts. My CVT Mt. Baker, which was 1/2 the price, opens and closes in less time with much less effort. It's got excellent quality tent fabric and keeps the dust out off road. McGrew 2014 was a good test for that this year. I've had it for 2+ years with very few complaints. Yeah, the mattress left something to be desired, but the telescoping ladder, I think, is superior and easier to store than the one that comes with the JB, IMHO. For the $, I don't think the features or design of the JB are worth it. But, obviously there are some that think that just because it's expensive, it's the best. -- To each their own.

^ I recently bought, for a near 3-week same camp spot hunting trip, a 10'x10' Kodiak "canvas" tent for 5 bills to serve as my base camp...about 3-large less than my Columbus. It poured rain for 24-hours with little more than a couple of tablespoons of rain ingress and the large "canvas" walls remained nearly silent even in very windy conditions. I'm 100% happy with how it preformed.

Oh yeah...and the doors and bug screens were obviously designed by someone who'd actually camped more than a night or two in the shelter of the factory...:rolleyes:

So why is it, again, the likes of James Baroud, Autohome ("50-years experience"), etc., can't get their RTT's right for loads more $$$?

Now before you 'glass half full types' get to typing :flipoff2:: I understand I'm comparing apples to oranges. But jeebus...you'd think SOMEBODY could charge an arm and a leg for a 'glass top & bottom RTT and actually deliver something that works.

Rant over.

Last edited:
We are the exclusive Northwest dealer for James Baroud and since I'm a Landcruiser guy I'll likely see these posts before the OK Auto guys do. Thought I'd answer a few questions here. Please let me know if you all have any others. Happy to help.

I'm curious to hear your feedback after you spend a couple nights in 25mph+ wind (seems to be typical of our NV, DV and UT explores). The Maggiolina was the only RTT I've owned that shrugged it off and stayed silent (due to being able to tension the side walls via cranked scissor lift).

The fan switch location: Precious! Obviously the design team at JB hadn't spent a night in it...lest a relocated power on/off switch; WTF?

I recently spent a weekend in Oregon in my James Baroud tent. I've spent probably 30-40 nights in mine but on this trip we had a torrential downpour and wind storm with gusts over 40mph, to the point the car was actually rocking. The tent was flawless. All of the James Baroud hard shell tents are tested guaranteed up to 70mph winds, although honestly at that point I'd try to seek additional shelter either way. ;)

As stated, the fan switch is up behind the fan. This was done to reduce wiring complexity and space requirements. The solar-powered exhaust fan is a very simple drop-in unit, which also allows it to be replaced easily should it fail. Adding a switch externally would require additional holes in the upper shell and/or wiring outside the unit itself. FWIW my 3 year-old son likes to switch ours on and off - it does not hurt putting your finger in there!

What is the height inside when open? Can you sit up without hitting the roof?

The tents that pop up further in the rear (Discovery, Discovery Extreme, Discovery Space) open to 50" in the rear. The tents to pop straight up open to 40". I am 6'3" and have one of the 40" tents and sitting up I do clear the roof, but it's tight. Most people should be able to kneel comfortably in the 50" tents.

I've been following along and have a question about sleeping two people. Oilbrnr, you said it would be cosy, meaning tight. I thought these type tents were made for two. My Wife and I are normal size, not heavy, could we fit in one. 6' and 5'

Thanks,

Sleeping two in any of the tents is actually very comfortable. It is a little larger than a standard 2-person tent. Here is a photo from a recent photo shoot showing the space inside. The Grand Raid XXL is both wider and longer and I sleep inside with my wife and our 3 year-old son very, very comfortably.

AdventureReady-55-2.jpg

Hope that all helps.

Tom

Last edited:
Missed a couple of questions from the second page. Hoping this helps as well.

One very important thing to note is when closing the tent you must leave the front (if applicable) and rear windows open at least half way, as well as the sides at least a third. This allows the air inside the tent to escape. If the air has nowhere to go it'll be impossible to get the top down. It'll become like trying to fold an inflated ball.

To be honest I've found that the straps are difficult to use except to just get the lowering started. The best way to lower the tent is to just pull down on (or push down on, if you can reach) the upper shell itself. For the front, pull downward on one corner and let the top shell slide forward slightly so that the tent fabric stays underneath. Then you should be able to easily rock the top backwards against the lower shell and latch it. Then touch in the strap and you're good to go.

Opening the front doors of the truck and standing on the sill is quite a bit easier than using the ladder. For the rear I just stand on the rear bumper, grab the strap and lean backwards letting my bodyweight lower the tent to the point that I can reach up and grab the lip of the shell with my hands.

It does take some practice just like anything. But once you develop a system it shouldn't take more than a few minutes to do.

The models with the additional storage tray on the rear of the tent have more powerful struts to accommodate lifting whatever is stored above. The weight rating for that storage tray is 65 lbs. Meaning those struts require 65 additional lbs. to lower if there is nothing up there.

I'm not sure where you guys are but if you ever make it to the Seattle area please let me know and I'll very happily run through it with you.

Last edited:
We've got a full-page devoted to the James Baroud Nomad 160 in the current issue of OutdoorX4 on page 78. You can check it out here:

http://issue5.outdoorx4.com

The free preview ends on page 34 so if you don't have a subscription, you'll need one to view the entire digital issue or you can pick-up a print copy at most any major book retailers (or from our website at www.outdoorx4.com/main/shop). In short, we love the Nomad 160.

View attachment 892521 View attachment 892517 View attachment 892517 View attachment 892517 View attachment 892517 Picked up a Grand Raid XXL RTT last Wednesday from Jim and Chuck of OK4WD at Cruise Moab. Have used it every night since and have set it up and down at least 10 times. Mounted to a new Rhino Rack Platform rack on top of my '06 Land Cruiser. Here are my thoughts.

Pcut, thanks for the report and pics! I realize this thread is pretty old and you had to sell your Grand Raid XXL tent, but I just wanted to ask how your '06 LC handled driving with that big tent on top.

I have a 2016 4Runner which is about .6 of an inch more narrow than your Land Cruiser at the roof, and want to order a Grand Raid XXL so I can sleep myself, wife and 6 year old. But I'm a little worried that the tent (which is 64 inches wide) will hang out 4-5 inches on each side of my roof, and what that will do to stability on highway and off road (though I won't be doing anything too extreme off-road).

Since your Land Cruiser has a similar sized roof, I thought I'd check to see if you had any recollection.

Thanks much!

Well, you can certainly tell it's up there. It's noticeable, but it hasn't affected my ability to travel. I do pay more attention to overhead clearance. I leave the tent up all the time and pay special attention to camber.

I doubt the increased width of the XXL would affect your COG too much over the regular version. It's a significant amount of weight either way.

Beyond that, my LC is pretty heavy as is so in terms of handling, I don't notice a huge difference between the tent alone and the sliders/skids/drawers/etc.

@indycole how wide is the roof on your 200 series?
How many inches does it over hang on each end?

TIA

Well, you can certainly tell it's up there. It's noticeable, but it hasn't affected my ability to travel. I do pay more attention to overhead clearance. I leave the tent up all the time and pay special attention to camber.

I doubt the increased width of the XXL would affect your COG too much over the regular version. It's a significant amount of weight either way.

Beyond that, my LC is pretty heavy as is so in terms of handling, I don't notice a huge difference between the tent alone and the sliders/skids/drawers/etc.

Thanks much, Indycole, I appreciate it. I have my XXl on order, and it will hopefully be here in 2 weeks. Just have to figure out the best roof rack for it now! I'll post pictures when I have them...

@indycole how wide is the roof on your 200 series?
How many inches does it over hang on each end?

TIA

The XXL tent is 64" wide. The rack is 51" wide. The vehicle width seems to vary between 48-50.

The tent overhangs the rack by 6-7" per side. It's not the sleekest-looking solution, but we like having the extra room up top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom