Just obtained my first Beast... now she wont idle =[ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone. I'm a newbie. Purchased my first yota, 86' 4runner. 196XXX miles of life so far. Changed oil, noticed some major leaks, replaced fuel pressure regulator, troubleshooting the back window issue. She was running alright so took her on her fist voyage couple weeks ago, drove 100+ hwy miles. Lost most oil upon reaching destination. She sat for 4 days, started every now and then. Filled her up again, began journey home, stopped halfway for fuel, added a qt of oil, made it almost all the way home.

Got off hwy, radiator blew up at stop sign! Got a tow, swapped out rad. Noticed exhaust crack, sealed it with some not so fancy "fix it" goop to make sure I at least had back pressure. Now there's no idle at all. Turns over only when the petal is being pushed. I know I have some cleaning to do because of the oil mess. Any other tips or tricks? This is my only vehicle. Need to fix it asap.

Building scan tool to test ECU for codes in the am.
Support is very welcomed
Thanks!

Welcome!

I think I would first focus on where the oil went, and why the radiator "blew up". Those can sometime indicate much more serious issues.

A scan tool can be made in seconds with a paper clip, btw.

Planning on using "scan tool" in the a.m. The radiator cracked just under the cap on the plastic tank. The oil is leaking from what looks like, everywhere, however, the gasket/jacket on the dipstick didn't exist at that time. It was flopping around all over the place before. The alternator belt got flung off, I assume, because of all the oil. Now dipstick and belt are secure. Seems like oil was coming out of the hole where the dipstick goes then getting sprayed everywhere from the fan.

I am new to all of this so please excuse my lack of auto jargon.

Thank you for the advice.

Sounds like there are a lot of different issues going on. Make a list and tackle one thing at a time. You'll get there.

Since you are saying ECU (and 4Runner), I'm guessing 22re engine. Replace that dip stick. If it doesn't seal properly in the tube it will create a vacuum leak that will give you fits. All of the air that enters the engine needs to be metered. Air entering the dipstick hole gets pulled, unmetered, into the engine through the PCV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom