Chinook Diesel 4x4 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes. I'll take a look and post. I like the shorter wheel base. The camper sits so hi up I don't think I will lose much in terms of departure angle. One of my reasons for the Chinook build was retaining the off road capabilities. i didnt want a bloated rig as i drive in the backcountry to hunt. I haven't really wheeled it yet so I can give u an accurate answer. This rig is easy to park around town. In my opinion another reason to stay small as possible.

Here is the side view. You can see the hitch in the picture. I still haven't built a cage for the propane tank yet but that is up next.
small.side2.jpg

So I meet with my mechanic and he was way more in to using the diesel instead of the FJ60. After some convincing he said he could build the platform and mount the Chinook to the 60 but would probably not do the body work of joining the 2 bodies together. He felt that would be more Fiberglas work than he is comfortable with.

@SWCruiser how much Fiberglas work did you have to do to your rig? And did you shop it out?

Thanks

I shopped the repair of the floor out because I had never done it before and I didn't have time. I am working on another Chinook build and have been doing all the glass work myself. I think the decision comes down to whether or not you want to do it and/or if u have time or the funds. I did all.the glass work to mate the cab too the rv body as well as interior support work. I enjoyed working with it and learning a new skill. You can pickup a lot of good tips on youtube. Make sure to use quality resin not the big box store stuff.

Last edited:
I was going to hold my tongue here, but you did post up asking for opinions :D. Since tone and intent are often lost or misinterpreted on forums, please know that I am genuinely trying to be constructive and share experience here.

From the perspective of someone who has done a number of builds over the last 15 years, I can tell you that as I read this thread, 3 things come to mind:

A) This is going to cost you 3 X what you think it will
B) This will take you 3X longer to complete than you think it will
C) You are going to be highly disappointed with the results

Allow me to elaborate. First off, the 2L diesel is about the worst motor Toyota ever put their name on. It's a dog with fleas that can't get out of it's own way. It crates NO power, has universal overheating and head cracking issues and will get nowhere near 35 MPG as stated earlier. As for the FJ60 option, while incredibly durable and far more reliable than the 2L, the 2F is not much better in the power department as I know you are already aware.

Second, swapping a Chinook onto a Hilux, then performing a SAS / 4wd conversion is a metric S-ton of work....REALLY expensive if you are not doing the work yourself and you want it done right. If you are getting the work done cheap, the results will be what you paid for.

Lastly...every wood constructed camper made will leak water at some point. I played with the idea of mounting a flat-bed 4 wheel camper on my last build, but that lack of durability steered me away from it.

Take it from someone who has pissed away far too much of his life savings in search of 4x4 camper nirvana. Start with asking yourself a few questions:

1) Where do you want to take this rig?
2) How many people are you taking and what essential gear must you fit?
3) How capable must it be to get to those places? (i.e....if your goal is just to access forest service roads, then do you need a super capable 4x4?)
4) How important is power and the ability to maintain speed climbing a long mountain grade?
5) How important are basic comforts like AC, Cruise, a roomy interior?
6) What are your must haves related to Solid axle vs. IFS, 12 vs. 24 Volt, RHD vs. LHD, Gas vs. Diesel...they all have their pros & cons
7) And the most important question....what is your budget??

I asked myself all these questions after 15+ years of buying, building and wheeling different platforms and ended up with the rig you see below. That said, if I knew 15 years ago what I know now, I'd have saved more money than I care to think about. Like you, I wanted all the comforts of a motorhome (cooking, showering, fridge, freezer, toilet, shade, comfortable bed etc.) but I wanted it to be equally at home on the long open road as it was on the toughest trails in the country. I sort of feel like I have achieved that this time around.

If I were you, I'd sell the Chinook and look for a platform that is 80% + of what you are looking for in a finished project. If the FJ60 and the 2L Hilux need to go in order to fund that, so be it...you will end up far further in the end I promise you.

Again...please take this post for what it's worth...not trying to be a dick or piss on your parade, just trying to pass along advice based on experience and have you put some sober thought into this decision before you get too far down the path. Best of luck with whatever you do!
MemDay-9.JPG

I agree with parts of this statemnt but feel preferences change over time as well. You also can't figure out what YOU need until go for it and build and use your stuff. I couldn't find what I wanted out there because it doesn't exist. Production made RVs of this type have poor construction, limited options and ones built well are 200k+. I do agree you need to go with a more modern powerplant. As for building the chinook. It will be a solid platform if done right. You need to beef up the internal metal cage and change the floor. I like diesel bigots build a lot, its awesome, but it's not what I find to be my ultimate vehicle. The costs will be 2 to 3rd of what u expect he is right about that.

Totally agree with both of you...this is an individual decision based on your wants, needs, abilities and experience. What I built (or should say had FC Fab build) is certainly not for everyone.

I think my main point was to consider finding something that had most of what you are looking for as a starting point vs. trying to mash together and 4x4 convert 2 trucks.

I agree with that too. Try and get as close to the end point as possible.. trying to rework the driver train is fighting two battles.

Haha... yes... I think we all make the same mistakes and love to consult a pre-build bible so we can make the smart decisions upfront. Would save a lot of time and resources. I think part of the issue is most of us on here are slightly OCD and even after having a perfect build we still want to change something.

I say we all meet in flagstaff, I'll bring the Tequila, you guys bring your rigs and we can figure this all out...lol

@dieselbigot I appreciate the to-the-point-advice. Not what I wanted to hear but probably what I needed to hear.

After following swCruisers Chinook/Cruiser build it there really anymore work just going for something like this from the start?

Phil, wtf is that and where do I find more info on that albatross?

:

First off, the 2L diesel is about the worst motor Toyota ever put their name on.

Definitely THIS!!

What time in Flagstaff?

I used the 1KZ-te in my deisel swap. I did all the work myself and still ended up spending about $7000 on just the swap (about $3000 more than I had planned). It has great power and efficiency. It took me two years of pretty steady work to complete. If you also wanted to include the 4x4 changeover you should probably add another $3000 for parts and I would guess at least $10,000-$15,000 in labor and likely 3-4 years. If you have the patience and the money I would have to agree that you would end up with one of the coolest rides on the road. That is kind of what I am building with my 87' 4runner minus the chinook shell.

I used the 1KZ-te in my deisel swap. I did all the work myself and still ended up spending about $7000 on just the swap (about $3000 more than I had planned). It has great power and efficiency. It took me two years of pretty steady work to complete. If you also wanted to include the 4x4 changeover you should probably add another $3000 for parts and I would guess at least $10,000-$15,000 in labor and likely 3-4 years. If you have the patience and the money I would have to agree that you would end up with one of the coolest rides on the road. That is kind of what I am building with my 87' 4runner minus the chinook shell.
Howdy,
Just happened across this thread. What is the status? I've been working on a '78 Chinook poptop, helping my MIL get it restored. After being in that thing for way too many hours, I would definitely stick with two doors, as the loss of useable camper space would be a bummer. Also, the rear seatbelts are mounted to be used on the benches (the ones that turn into a bed).

Personally, I have an '05 Tundra quad cab 4x4 with a four wheel camper Hawk on it. I can go anywhere I would want to car camp, it is perfect for my wife, myself, and our son. I've got a rack on the top which carries a cargo box and kayaks just fine (can't really do that with the Chinook roof). We use the setup as our ski rig, camping rig, and took a three week road trip in it last summer. Proved to be awesome! Plenty of power and space. Upfront cost is quite a bit, but the Tundra is my DD and the Hawk I found used for about 1/2 new price.

I totally understand the allure of the older Toyota rigs, as I have 2 55s and the Chinook at my house right now ;)

I sure do enjoy the modern conveniences and reliability when I'm out in the sticks or doing 80 on the freeway. Just another unasked for opinion:beer:

Ok, here is the belated update. I have officially decided to use the 84 FJ60. The FJ has an aftermarket overdrive that did not work when I picked it up, basically it would slip out of geer. I rigged up a way to secure the gear in-place and I basically only use the overdrive now. Supper exited about all the gas milage savings! this basically turned a 4 gear rig into 8!

I have completely gutted the chinook to get it ready for the swap. I spoke with the mechanic who is going to do the mounting for me and he will be ready to start in a few weeks (hopefully).

The seat belts were removed in my rig and I am considering a way to add them back in. let me know what all suggest for that.

Other than that I really like SWCruiser's interior, so mine will be fairly similar.

@SWCruiser have you been able to wheel your rig? How is it performing off road?

@dieselbigot I have taken your points to heart and am now considering selling the FJ60 and 2L to fund an HJ60 import. I see your rig has the 12h-t, can it tow a 4k lb trailer? And if so how does it do on long uphill grades? Also how do you feel about the 2h engine? I ask because there are 2 cruisers for sale in my area right now, a 12h-t and a 2h.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom