MM 10500 Hydraulic Winch Notes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It seems like the hydraulic winch novelty has worn off a bit around here, so I thought I'd share my recent experience and maybe stoke the coals a bit :grinpimp:

I got to use my hydraulic winch for it's first real task recently trying to pull myself up over the last ledge on a mini boulder hill. I was a little excited that i finally had a good situation to test my custom PSC pump and winch bumper. A first gen 4runner was used as an anchor. At first the winch didn't pull in low with the load, so I had to throttle up and set the hand throttle. THEN it really pulled. I went nowhere, but drug the 4runner toward me. In the end I had to back down because I was just too wedged on the rocks. My 60 SU with 33s likes to hang up on just about anything.

To give you an equivalent to an electric winch draining your battery: I later realized that my PS belt had stretched enough to max out the tensioner travel. Probably from the crank turning hard and the pump fighting extra hard. That's not so bad, I took it back to O'Reilly's and warranteed it out with a 1/2" shorter belt. OK, you're right. V belts don't cost quite as much as an Optima Yellow Top :flipoff2:

I've never had one but never quite understood the disdain for hydraulic winches; all the knocks against them just seem kinda lame. What am I missing?

Common cons for hydraulic winches are: won't work when the engine is off and most PS pumps aren't up to the task.

I always add some diversity to the group I'm with.

Common cons for hydraulic winches are: won't work when the engine is off and most PS pumps aren't up to the task.

I always add some diversity to the group I'm with.

I view it as most batteries aren't up to the task either, and even if they are they won't run for long without the engine running.
The speed issue seems like a moot point too, sure an electric is faster---until you've gotta let it cool off!
Seems like either would work just fine really.

hydraulics can be pretty fast too .. but again as mention before, it all it's up to which kind of PS pump and cooling oil system you have ..

I don't want to turn this into another electric vs hydraulic thread. I just want to give some first-hand experience with a hydraulic winch set up. I know there's very few out there being run compared to a lot of opinions and "I know a guy who knows a guy..."

You know, you could actually run a hyrdo pump straight to the battery and run the winch to that and you'd be able to use the winch without the vehical running.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom