Traxxas Stampede 4x4 VXL brushless.... wow (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So i still have my crawler and love it, but it sits a lot more now than it used to. I've always had the itch for something fast. So the other day i was at the hobby store and picked up a traxxas stampede 4x4 brushless. Now, i have 4s packs for my crawler and when i told the guy at the store i wanted to run 4s on it he said "no way dude thats too much".... now to me, it's never too fast!

So i took it home and it can run 3s out of the gate. HOLY SMOKES this thing is fast! With a 3s pack you can literally get the tires to expand and almost act like they want to blow off the wheels. I can't imagine what a 4s pack would do. Anyways, this thing is great on 2s because it's still fast and very controllable.

Anyone else have one of these?

I'm trying not to dump cash at it and only upgrade parts that i break. I've also been impressed with how sturdy it is. I've rammed it into curbs and trees pretty fast and it's just now finally broken a lower arm. I've also snapped a rear axle with 3s.... so i've upgraded he rear axles and the front A-arms.

I'll put up some pics soon.

Me an' the boy got 2wd (brushed) Slashes for Christmas. His motor has been squealing for a while now and he finally let the smoke out of it this morning. The hobby shop happened to have two brushless kits in stock, so of course we had to upgrade:grinpimp:

Man, what an improvement! Even with taller gears, this is much quicker! I can see lots of carnage in the future!

What did you upgrade with? I've been super happy with the RPM products. I would go ahead and do their arms F&R and the hubs even before you break them, because you probably will. Once I swapped all those parts out, I haven't had any more problems.

Cam there is an online store called Atomik RC that sells alloy hop-ups for all the traxxas stuff. I have been just upgrading as i break stuff and so far that's been just the rear axles and the front lower A-arms.

But the thing is stupid fast and i can imagine there will be a lot more breakage in the near future.

Your stock venom brushless motor was designed to last longer on 2S lipos. Try to get a hardcase 2s lipo with at least 60-80c rating. That'll give you the umpphh as well. If you want speed, change the teeth size to a 54 teeth. 4s will kill your motor fast!

I was using 3S on my venom motor until it gave up the winding after about 12hrs of usage, (about 5mos with ten minutes of cooling in between runs). I tend to abuse the throttle... I then upgraded to a Castle motor that handles 4s, although i've only ran it few times with 4s 2200mAh 60c, i will not do it again. It was crazy nuts and stupid fast and not fun because it just tends to lift off (and flips) at times because I have a chin up stance.

Since i've been running 3S on the Castle motor, had a fan on it (after 1.5yrs and a lot of stop and go abuse), still runs like a champ. Oh, you have to pair it with a castle ESC as well if your using their motor.

Either or, I hear ya, they're fun! I wish I had these when I was a kid.. LoL...

I've got the castle momba max pro on my crawler that can handle up to 5s!if I toast what's on here now I will switch to castle

I see. But your crawler is basically just on the slow end, it doesn't usually see lipo bursts. Either way, mamba is good.

What is the C rating you use on your traxxas? Do you have the stock spur gear still?

I do have the stock spur gear still in place. I think it came with another gear for more speed but I'm not messing with it.

I think my c rating on the 2s lipo is 45 and on the 3s lipo it's 30 I believe

Well, I just ordered aluminum steering pieces and steel front cvd's.

I think I have a 54T spur gear and 16T pinion gear right now and using an 80c (burst) 3s and it's fast and still manageable and controllable.
Does you motor gets really hot on 3s?

Those aluminum are pricey and it adds up doesn't it??.. Oh well, if you have an 80 there should be no problem right? LoL....

Yes, the motor will get hot for sure on 3s. That's why i have been trying to keep the run times short with the 3s. I have a 5,000 Mah 3s pack and the motor will get pretty darn hot by the end of it. Normally i will hardly run the entire pack out before i stop and let it rest. Plus, normally, at least so far, i'll run a pack and then put it up for hours if not the day.

You are right about the parts adding up. This is the slippery slope that i slid down on my cruiser... i got sick of breaking parts so i finally upgraded them and then it was reliable and i could just use it and not worry about carrying a ton of spare parts around. That seems to be what is happening with this thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom