Long glow time and missing on initial "cold" start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wes

SILVER Star
Threads
I have an '81 JDM BJ41. I noticed that the glow controller takes a very long time to glow (approximately 40 seconds to start glowing and 55 seconds for full glow). I have waited up to 80 seconds before start, and the truck still misses/idles rough for about 30 seconds. It then smooths out, and will start fine without glowing again as long as the engine is hot. I have read a few threads on glow plugs, glow controllers, etc., but I get overwhelmed with the information very quickly. I am not very educated on the subject.

One of the threads I found shows documentation that the 24v system should only take about 15 seconds to glow, and anything over 30 seconds could be a bad glow plug, loose connection, burnt switch, etc. My question is, where do I start to try and diagnose my problem? Is there one problem that could be causing this that is most likely?

I would start by testing your glow plugs. They are a consumable item and will eventually burn out. To test them, remove the busbar between the glow plugs. Then use an Ohm meter to test the plugs. Place one probe on the end of the glow plug (where the busbar connects), and the other probe on a good engine ground (like a head bolt). I can't remember the exact resistance specs, but if you find one that is an open circuit, you'll have found your problem. Then, refer to the thread in the sticky section started by Lost Marbles regarding which plugs you should use.

:cheers:

For "manual glow with glow controller" on a 24V BJ41 you should be running 20.5V plugs (as per post #1 of the thread FFLCFREAK referred to)

:beer:

Thanks for the info. I will check the resistance of the plugs this weekend. Sorry for my ignorance, I've never owned a diesel, much less a diesel Cruiser. That's the fun of it though. Hoping to learn a few things.

There definitely appears to be a problem with at least one plug. There was an open circuit on the first plug. 2 and 4 had slightly high readings at 1.5 and 1.7 ohm respectively, but from what I have read this may not be that abnormal. 3 had what was specified in the FSM, 0.9. I ordered a new set of Toyota plugs, so hopefully this will fix my problem.

On a side note, has anyone ever bought any of the Toyota fork lift plugs? The part number matches except for TY in front of the number 19850-68040. Here is a link where they can be purchased. They are a lot cheaper than the ones I found without the TY. I have noticed that the number for the oil filter of a Toyota fork lift matches the OEM number as well. I wonder if they are the same?

Those forklift parts should fit your engine OK too.

For me though, I like always to know the brand of what I'm buying because I like to buy only brands I trust and lowest price isn't always my deciding factor.

:beer:

On a side note, has anyone ever bought any of the Toyota fork lift plugs? The part number matches except for TY in front of the number 19850-68040. Here is a link where they can be purchased. They are a lot cheaper than the ones I found without the TY. I have noticed that the number for the oil filter of a Toyota fork lift matches the OEM number as well. I wonder if they are the same?

Generally they are identical,the only things that are different on the fork lift,bus and truck diesels is the air intake .Sometimes they have 1 belt on the alternator when the landcruiser version has 2. Sometimes the fuel returns are slightly different.

This worked as hoped. The glow controller is at full illumination after about 15 seconds. Starting is much smoother. Thanks for the help.

This worked as hoped. The glow controller is at full illumination after about 15 seconds. Starting is much smoother. Thanks for the help.

Hey Silverstar, I know this is an old post, but I wanted to know if you went with the plugs from the forklift company? Was it an actual Toyota part? 24v I assume? Any issues?

Bosch and HKT glow plugs work as good Denso, it gives you a lot more options. About $15 ea on ebiy

Last edited:
Hey Silverstar, I know this is an old post, but I wanted to know if you went with the plugs from the forklift company? Was it an actual Toyota part? 24v I assume? Any issues?
I bought the plugs directly from Toyota, not the forklift plugs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom