Rebuilt front axle??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How much does or should a rebuilt front axle cost about?? I plan on just pullin the ol truck to a good shop and having the front axle rebuilt. But was wondering how much that might run me.
Kyle

Define "rebuild." Possible work includes:

Knuckle rebuild
Brakes
Wheel bearings
Third member rebuild (new ring, pinon, bearings)
Replace seals and gaskets.

Also why brand of part you want used napa oreilly Toyota or marlin?

I guess its just seals (I have the kit), Its leaking on the passenger side so the brake doesnt work. Im hoping not to replace bearings.

I think it's around 10 book hours, at $100/hr. Learn to do it yourself, especially since you have the kit.

would like to but dont have the place.. was given a quote of about 400 bucks

Look on low range off road and you can find kits with everything you need. Included, wheel bearings and races, all the knuckle seals, new spindle studs and bolts, trinion bearings and races, heavy duty wiper seals, and a few tools I didn't use for about $300 (cheaper without the tools). I spent a little extra and got new hub studs, cone washers, split washers, and nuts for another $60 I believe. Then got the vented rotors for another $80ish....chromoly hub gears for $60ish.

But those are extra things I did to just freshen up the whole knuckle/hub assemply. After all was said and done I spent around $600 to redo everything but the actual differential and did the work myself.

Thanks!!

:zilla:hey i think labor is like 400 dollars at the dealer or a shop mechanic.irts like two hundred some thing a side complete.

if its leaking just wipe it off that simple do not go f''cin to far . found out first if your wheel bearing inner and outer are good knuckle bears upper lower tye rod ends . the grease is coming out usally becase your wheeling helluva or some thing hiitin them streets check shocks out ! barry j.

Maybe I missed it, but what year truck do you have? Guessing 1st generation. If not, it's a real PITA to get the IFS axle torn down to the inner axle seal. Don't see why the brakes wouldn't work with this leak, regardless of year.

82..real trucks have a straight front axle :)

Don't have the space???? Dude your driveway, the street, a parking lot, wherever you park the thing is all you need. Complete seal kit with new trunnions and felts and about 4 or 5 tubes of red grease and your in business!

haha I know but apartment complexes can be a pain

I agree. I once had to put an axle back together with no diff so I could move my rig because it sat in one spot for too long while I was working on it. I am glad those days are long gone.

However, if you know someone with some space, an axle rebuild is a cheap, dirty and fun learning experience. It's good to know the inside well enough that you can also perform trail fixes.

I know about the complex days. They sucked. We once had security called on us because we were putting a body lift and budget boost on a Jeep TJ. Fortunately by the time they came around we had it apart, so we told the security guy we had to get it back together before we could move it. Worked out ok, but I can feel your pain there.
Check out the clubhouse section. I know there are some great clubs out in your area that I am sure would love to help a new guy out with a flat spot and some tools. I thing the Rising Sun club may be in your area. Definitely recommend checking it out. If you enjoy working on your stuff this could be done in a Saturday, with a few experienced hands helping, probably half a day. Plus you will meet some great folks and gain some experience too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom