Deutche Optik customer review. :( (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

93yotasr5

Come and take it
Threads
hey guys, so a couple years ago I purchased 4 of the deutche optik NATO style 5 gallon gas cans and 2 of the old style spouts.

all 4 of the gas cans worked and still work great with no fumes or leakage.

the first spout I used within a week and and worked great also. the 2nd spout i purchased as a spare and kept it in the box in the closet.

this last weekend I gave the first spout to a friend and so I pulled out the spout from the closet and tried to use it to fill up my tank. it LEAKED like crazy spilling gas all over the place.

so I emailed Deutche optik and told them the situation. they replied saying they cant replace it for me but will give me free shipping if i purchase the new style from them. NOT the answer i was expecting or hoping to get from them.

so all in all just wanted to rant and hopefully steer people away from buying there products since they wont stand behind them.

thanks Douche optik.

I will probably end up buying one from ebay instead of taking the free shipping offer. its not the 25 i spent on the extra spout its he principal.

ok rant over

did you check to see if it's not the rubber gasket missing or defective?

yes sir. gasket is perfect. its leaking at the neck where it meets the base.

that's no good indeed.

Yeah I'm pretty disappointed.

Disappointed, yes...but you waited two years. That's asking a bit much from any vendor IMHO even with the statement that it was your first use. They have no idea if that's really the case or not, damage in storage, etc. etc. Sorry, not feeling it on this one.

I think if you'd tested both right up front, they probably would've replaced it no question. At least I'd hope so. Never have done business with them.

True, did I learn my lesson yes. I should've tested it. But I've had other companies replace things in this similar situation with out any hassle. And I didn't want a used filler in my closet. I wanted it as a spare.

I work in customer service and our company would've taken care of the customer in this situation. But not all companies work in the same way.

Anyways the same exact ones are available on eBay for less with free shipping .

well, yes, it's 2 years down the line and that's a lot. (Not that most would have actually tested the thing before putting it away, I'd guess.)
It's not outrageous for them not to replace it for free I'll admit, but I can't help but think that it was not smart business on the part of the company. They could have had a brilliant marketing good will move mentioned on the internet instead of this thread. And they or their manufacturer was really at fault it seems, time past notwithstanding.
Makes me less -not more- likely to buy from them.

I think two years is a along time for one to expect the company to replace the spout, and while the free shipping may not seem like much it does cost them money. For me the burden is on us to make sure what we buy works in a reasonable amount of time, if you want the retailer to make good on a broken part and especially from a small retailer like this one. They are not Costco.

I never compared them to Costco.

I never said you did, but expecting a small retailer to replace something they sold over two years ago is thinking like they are a large store like Costco, who will take anything back.

One might think that the time elapsed "limitations" have more to do with wear and use than storage. On the face of it, there is no difference if the thing leaks at the first try whether it's been a week or a year since purchase. Unless it would have gone bad because of long storage is it any less the manufacturer's fault? If the company would replace it after a week, why not after a year -if unused?

Most of what we buy has a 30 day to one year warranty, and from a retailer's perspective how does one establish the lack of use for two years.
I am not in any way saying that the OP is not being truthful, and I feel bad that you now have a defective product on your hands but how could any small company stay in business if they do not establish some reasonable time frames on returns

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom