Overdrive issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello:

I just purchased a 2007 with 120,000 miles on it. It runs strong, but I have noticed that sometimes it will shift really hard from OD down a gear for speeding up on the highway or climbing a hill. There is a pause and then a hard clunking in the rear end. Any suggestions or has anyone else had this problem with their automatic transmission?

Thank you.

Hello:

I just purchased a 2007 with 120,000 miles on it. It runs strong, but I have noticed that sometimes it will shift really hard from OD down a gear for speeding up on the highway or climbing a hill. There is a pause and then a hard clunking in the rear end. Any suggestions or has anyone else had this problem with their automatic transmission?

Thank you.
Google drive shaft clunk and also check with a dealer because buddy of mine that bought an 07 FJ said there was a recall on some of the transmissions and he had to had his replaced.

Drive shaft clunk and the rear diff issue are two separate known issues. The drive shaft tends to bind at the slip joint if not properly lubed and typically unbinds several seconds after you come to a complete stop. The rear diff issue is related to the very early builds in 2006 to Feb 2007. You can check your "born on date" on the driver's door tag. Those early models had ring and pinion gears that were too brittle and typically only failed when pushed to their limits offroad. If you have a failure in the rear diff, then it gets worse very quickly and it will sound like a box of rocks churning in your differential.

I suspect your OD issue is related to what I described in the other thread, a transmission issue. Just do a simple drain and refill as I described. It's an easy task for any transmission shop and shouldn't cost more than $200-250. Just don't let them talk you into a full flush job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom