LandRover seized for violation of EPA regulations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes I agree.

I guess I was referring more to the political side of it.

I.e.
search warrant or owners consent to search?
violation of search and seizure?,
why the Department of Homeland Security is investigating such issues?
Why the agency felt the need to come onto the property with numbers in raid style?

Maybe just an Arizona thing, but it's sad that I can register a ham sandwich as a vehicle if I made it myself, but I can't register a vehicle that was made for another nations markets.

Stupid.

I don't see what the big deal was here - the vehicle was seized for VIN number shenanigans. The 25 year EPA exemption is rock solid if you're not trying to cheat.

:shrug:

I was following this a week or two ago while the raids were happening. I picked it up on Facebook. The CBP/DHS seized almost 80 trucks that day around the country. It turns out that there was a shady importer in NC that was bringing in trucks from the UK and switching VINs. Some of the trucks didn't meet the 25 year rule and some of them were stolen in the UK. So the Feds grabbed all of the guy's sales documents and seized every single vehicle he had imported and resold.

Apparently the guy was a reputable importer a few years ago. He wasn't swapping VINs or any other shady things. Unfortunately those people had their vehicles seized too! The CBP was only assigned the task of seizing the vehicles. They didn't do anything to inspect/verify if there was anything fraudulent happening and grounds for a seizure. CBP told them they have 30 days to file a formal appeal or the trucks would be crushed. So now many people are out there hiring lawyers in hopes of proving their trucks were legally imported.

On a different note, I had a wonderful experience buying an 84 Hilux Double Cab 2.4D from Steve at Land Cruisers Direct. Very professional outfit.

Maybe just an Arizona thing, but it's sad that I can register a ham sandwich as a vehicle if I made it myself, but I can't register a vehicle that was made for another nations markets.

Stupid.

Lightfighter, haha this comment had me chuckling. Mind if I put this in my sig? I've been having this exact sentiment lately.

There is already 2 threads about this in chat

Quoted from the link above..... that's just pathetic!!!!! Only in 'merica :p

One such example occurred earlier this month in Greenville, North Carolina, when teams of armed DHS agents showed up outside a courthouse building. There was no threat to the building – the purpose of the agents’ presence was to “let people know they’re in the area,” while encouraging residents to snitch on their neighbors via the ‘See Something, Say Something’ program.

In another incident, the DHS conducted a military-style invasion of a small town in Illinois complete with armored vehicles, a Black Hawk helicopter and a phalanx of heavy duty equipment and weaponry. It subsequently emerged that the reason behind the show of force – which spooked locals – was to apprehend one man for downloading indecent images on his computer.

I agree with Watrob.

This thread title would better be "Landrover recovered in connection with vehicle importation racket"

(As for the other examples .... :meh:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom