Love those pizzas on the grill...! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Going to have to give that a try. Longitudinally, like from the stem down, right? Would it matter?

Probably wouldn't matter other than you'd have "top" and "bottom" sections rather than identical halves ...but yes I sliced them down from the stem.

I used Early Girls...what we get right now at the farmer's market. But I'm sure Roma tomatoes would work too.

tomatoes on KK 2.jpg

Last edited:
Ok...giving in so what little credibility I have left isn't shredded too badly :D Not the whole enchilada...er calzone...but the leftover that made for today's lunch.

The slow roasted tomatoes, over hardwood lump, were so incredibly sweet they might be construed as candy. So methinks they might just make a tasty ice cream, sorbet or granita! Stay tuned!

View attachment 923381

Looks nice D.. We are on a Italian bender right now.. Margherita pizzers tonight.

Every once in awhile we get sweet maters.. May have to try this when I make the habanero/pistachio ice cream..

J

I just cut them in 1/2, longitudinally, and put them on the bbq grate cut side up; no oil, no salt and no sugar. I didn't smoke them but rather just very slowly, over about 6-hours, roast-dried them at about 200 degrees F (indirect heat). I can insert several racks in my ceramic cooker so I used a heat deflector on the lower grate...with the tomatoes on the upper grate for indirect heat.

When I pulled them they still had a little thick unctuous juice so not totally dried. My sister just freezes them...and I'll do the same + vac seal after they're frozen (so not to squeeze the juice out of the flesh).

They are so sweet you'd swear they had sugar on them! Think "sun dried tomatoes" but infinitely better! Use in salads, soups, pizza/calzones, bruschetta, omelets, desserts (still to be proven ;))...only limited by your imagination. They'd be great added right before you serve up risotto!

Great idea. I haven't used my dehydrator in a while, looks like it might be a little longer since I have a new smoker.

Great idea. I haven't used my dehydrator in a while, looks like it might be a little longer since I have a new smoker.

TXLX100.. Peel a few tomatoes (I like to use Romas) the next time you smoke and throw them in for about 30-45 minutes.. FANTASTIC!

I usually throw in a chunk of mozzarella too and then serve it with the tomatoes, basil, olive oil and a nice baguette.

J

Last week's calzones...this time with my own sourdough dough (Italian). Going to get back to pies...don't know when though ;)

image.jpg
image.jpg

That's a sweet wood fired oven you got there. I want to put one at my cabin one day...

Did you make it your self?
I purchased it. I am building the support base and wood rack. Have it up supported by wood now. We really like it. When I did the math it was about 400 dollars cheaper to build it myself. We decided we wanted to cook on one sooner so we bought it.

@spressomon and I were discussing pizza baking on the "What's on the Grill" thread, but I figured I'd post up my results over here. All dough has been store-bought Trader Joe's dough. At $1 a bag, it's hard to want to make my own. Plus, will home made dough that I freeze taste better than fresh, store-bought dough? Idk.

Putting a pizza stone on top of 3/4" ceramic heat diffusers and heating to 700F seems to work pretty well for neapolitan-style pizza. But it requires a lot of charcoal, takes awhile to get up to temp and heat soak, and regularly hitting 700+F probably isn't great for the grill or felt gasket.

32333661356_c99a11913b_z.jpg

Supposedly, you can achieve similar results using cast iron or steel baking stones at lower temperatures due to how much faster they transfer heat. I don't own either, but I wanted to try this theory out. So I stacked my cast iron pan on top of a cast iron griddle, probably 1/4in or thicker and the combo weighed 15lbs.

First I tried the cast iron with a ceramic deflector 4" above it (bottom wasn't foil wrapped) at 550F air and surface temperature for 3mins (probably should have let it go longer). Worked pretty well. The black bits are burnt corn meal from transferring the pizza. But the top didn't brown at the same time as the bottom.

32333380036_f60d970c5b_z.jpg
31561600743_e90c467893_z.jpg
32252278411_93ae6dcdfc_z.jpg

So next I tried raising the cast iron up into the dome using the extended grate on top of the flipped regular grate. This worked better with more even browning on the top and bottom at 550F for 4mins. I think this pizza tasted the best, but it might have been because I cooked it the longest. I think I'm going to invest in a steel baking stone so I can get similar results with larger pizzas on the grill or in the oven.

32372532095_c765da2c5b_z.jpg
31561606233_128aede6e4_z.jpg
31529904534_35b38499cf_z.jpg

Last edited:
If you do a cold ferment dough out to 5-ish days your dough will taste better than TJ's. TJ's and Whole Foods is a nice fall back, OTOH I make a 6-ball batch, make a couple and freeze the rest. Doesn't take long to thaw and rise ...

Discussed on other threads but I like Jeff Verasano's approach the best overall: Jeff Varasano's NY Pizza Recipe

When I lived in Monterey @Cruiserdrew got me into all things sour dough. I had several different cultures but my favorite for pizza dough flavor was the Italian strain of sourdough culture. If you have the refrigerator space & the time ... the flavor difference is worth it.

i was looking at this recipe. If I do it, I'd do as you say and freeze most of it since it's pretty labor/time intensive to make a batch.

I had a nice sourdough starter, then I went on vacation for 2 weeks... The TJ's dough was open in the fridge for 4-days before I used it... does that count?

Damn.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom