OM617 questions, possible purchase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I really want to put a diesel in my 76 FJ40 and have narrowed it down to either the Isuzu or the Mercedes OM617. I have located a OM 617, motor only, for $500 about 3 hrs away from me. It is from a mid 80's sedan that was wrecked w/o damage to the motor. At this time I am still trying to get more specific information, i.e. mileage, year, when pulled etc.. The seller bought it from the Mercedes Shop that previously serviced the car and pulled it when the car was wrecked. I have attached a couple pictures and wonder if someone more experienced with these motors can see anything that I should be concerned with or have any advice as to what I should look for if I make the drive.

Thanks

om617 3.jpg

om617.jpg

om617 2.jpg

om617 1.jpg
om617 2.jpg
om617 3.jpg
om617.jpg
I really want to put a diesel in my 76 FJ40 and have narrowed it down to either the Isuzu or the Mercedes OM617. I have located a OM 617, motor only, for $500 about 3 hrs away from me. It is from a mid 80's sedan that was wrecked w/o damage to the motor. At this time I am still trying to get more specific information, i.e. mileage, year, when pulled etc.. The seller bought it from the Mercedes Shop that previously serviced the car and pulled it when the car was wrecked. I have attached a couple pictures and wonder if someone more experienced with these motors can see anything that I should be concerned with or have any advice as to what I should look for if I make the drive.

Thanks

Checked post and apparently pic's do not enlarge, reposted full size

check 4btswaps, lots of info and support there. try finding an isuzu and compare priceing ,swap info support . if i were doing a swap it would be a merc for sure ,look at the superpumps you can bolt on for a more driveable hp gain..

Wrongway around,

Thanks, have been checking out the various forums which has led me towards the Merc engine, more usable rpm band etc.. Looking for better MPG w/same or better performance. Plan on staying with the 4 speed and 4.11 w/33" KM2s. Looks like I may be making a road trip this weekend.

Why an old OM617 when there are more modern options, OM603/OM606? Preferably the last one ofcourse with the mechanical pump of the 603.

Why an old OM617 when there are more modern options, OM603/OM606? Preferably the last one ofcourse with the mechanical pump of the 603.
Availability and cost play a big role. Not familiar with the 603 or 606, are they both mechanical injection as I want to stay away from electronics.

That makes sense, I have no idea about availability over there, over here you can pick up an old merc for peanuts. The 603 is a 3litre 12valve mechanical straight 6. The 606 is 24valve and electronic but the mechanical pump from the 603 swaps straight in. Have the elements from the electronic 606 pump swapped over to the 603 pump, adjust fuel and with the original turbo from the 606 you get an instant 200hp. Those 606's are found in E300TD mercs from around 1995 I think it was. The 606 is bombproof, they take well over 400hp all day long on the standard block. They rev like a petrol engine but with the stomp pulling diesel torque.
Youtube on om606 and you'll find plenty of insane video's :)

Well I guess I will be spending more time in this section. Pick up the motor Sunday morning from fellow Mudder "Roberto". Guess I should start paying more attention to builds etc versus my browsing/day dreaming previously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom