Builds "Frank" 1989 hj61 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ATEB in burnaby did a reset diesel injection pump air fuel ratio system for the 12ht.

Just beautiful! Tons of power, great response. Absolutely recommend.

1989 hj61

What is involved in this reset that ATEB did? Is it expensive? Do they do injector work?

What is involved in this reset that ATEB did? Is it expensive? Do they do injector work?

I'll try answer as much as possible, best source for all the specs would be to call john at ateb. (604) 837-8373

But here it goes:

-before and after
12ht auto (up to date on maintenance) drives like a tractor and always thought slow and steady was the game. The typical ways of getting more out of the 12ht (larger turbo, intercooler, adjusting the fuel screw...) get expensive fast, besides the fuel screw. But what john made me realize is that there is a lot more potential already under the hood. With adjustments. Keeping in a "safe" zones.

Currently the 12ht has a 3" exhaust, snorkel, 3rd/4th lock up w/ a TC from wholesale automatics, 33" tires, 2" lift old man emu, front and back bumpers. Then gauges for the tranny temp, egt and boost.

The boost was adjusted to 15 before the injection pump tuning. Lots of people diy fuel to air ratio get results from adjusting the fuel screw and finding an adequate ratio for a desired response. I had not.

Now I'm around 18 with the tuning power improvement on the 12ht.

Now:
-it is a huge improvement (tons of response at all shift points in the a440f). In over drive there aren't any noticeable limitations on the hwy to pass. Before the adjustment 110 was a comfortable speed and accelerating was painfully slow. Now that's a thing of the past.
-Egts haven't shown a dramatic change
-engine temp (as indicated on the stock dash) stay within regular range as before.
-confident now I'll comfortably stay with the hdj81s on trips (before I wouldn't even eat dust, being so far back haha...)

I'm not able to share the technical, just the driving experience and what the gauges tell me in different driving situations. But was told that factory setting is only limited to 60% on the injection pump. Now it has been dialled into the 85% range without a intercooler.

Overall I'm bewildered in the amount of response. Driving this truck for three years. Reading and humming and hawing over the next step this was presented to me as an option recently and atebs love and ingenuity for these cruisers is awesome. Overall best mod yet.

I'm gonna compare fuel economy and keep taking notes on how this new setup reacts.

1989 hj61

hi all , what i did is straight forward and simple if one understand how each component works and be able to twick it to what ever each wanted to achives. for natcher we been servicing these truck ever since so we get to it and takes few hrs to set it up right for good miladge, power and smooth driveability wise.so any one wanted to know pm me and will try y best to answer.

Do you need the truck in your shop. or do you tweak the injector pump on the bench?

Do you need the truck in your shop. or do you tweak the injector pump on the bench?
you do not need to be in the bench, you can better tune it on the road test in that way it is much more acurate.

Comment on fuel economy after 6 tanks of fuel with the new set up.

Note* first 5 were within the lower mainland mix of hwy and city. 6th was a trip on hwy only.

1. 15l/100kms new found power...
2. 11.4l/100kms relax
3. 11.6l/100kms relax
4. 12.1l/100kms more city than hwy
5. 10.6l/100kms more hwy

6. 10.4l/100kms 105 kms average

Egts are as they were before under normal driving.

Egts rise at a faster rate with a harder foot. As expected. More fuel. More power. More heat.

Wheeled the truck 2 times since the the upgrade. No noticeable fuel economy difference. Haven't needed a led foot in those circumstances.

Overall the truck responds as it should now. If all temps keep as they are I wouldn't consider a intercooler without a larger turbo.

Before the inline pump being moded by ATEB.

I haven't pulled anything yet. But the coq or the hope hill are easy loaded. Once again this is an auto with third gear lock up. (Wholesale automatic billet torque converter and 3rd gear lock up).

I can tackle both at 75kms/hr keeping the tranny at 180 in third gear.

Should be doing the crows nest soon, hope slide hill. So I'll update how the power increase has effected the hj61

The cruiser has been my main vehicle for the past 3 years. Work. Leisure, mall go getter. The business needs a long box.

Therefore, being less driven and focused on Overlanding. There will be some exciting transitions to come. As a simple token to this transition my self and an other adventure enthusiast started to tackle a few things on the list.

A middle console for the cruiser that will hold a vhf, switches for lights, maps, fire extinguisher...Etc
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1411454565.684202.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1411454589.984590.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1411454607.068633.jpg

Wow, looks like fun! Nice temperate west coast winter. I really like that console, I have a 5spd but thanks for something for me
to copy, the idea has been rolling around in my head - pics make it easier.
You haven't removed your flares in the bush? I have a set, just scares me to put them on. Are yours the ones screwed to the inner
fender on each end, with two sided tape along the fender? How do you clean the guck out of them?

Wow, looks like fun! Nice temperate west coast winter. I really like that console, I have a 5spd but thanks for something for me
to copy, the idea has been rolling around in my head - pics make it easier.
You haven't removed your flares in the bush? I have a set, just scares me to put them on. Are yours the ones screwed to the inner
fender on each end, with two sided tape along the fender? How do you clean the guck out of them?

Thanks! I had started to remove the rear fender flares, yes they are the bolt on type, Bolt comes through the truck. What ones do you have? As soon as I got the rear bumper and the side bars, they haven't been hit once. The fronts never have had to much action to worry about.

In regards to cleanliness its a constant struggle to keep them clean. The main reason I have left them on is because of the bolts. I do worry about rust in that area but it's been fine so far.

To clean: patience and a good nosel on the hose. But it still doesn't get everything out.

Great pics

My flares are the rubber type. They attach with screws to lower inner wheel well openings and double sided tape
along the fender.
Next time I'm over there I'll let you know. I havent' been up Chehalis yet. Thnx for the pm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom