Old Time Drill Press (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

scrapdaddy

Standing on the corner
SILVER Star
Threads
Thought some of you might like to see a WWII drill press. Owned by the U.S.A.F. Stands over 7 1/2 feet and weight is around a half ton. Needs a good cleaning and paint, but not too much wrong with it. The leather belt is shot and I've got to get a phase converter as it's 3 phase.

IMG_2512.JPG

IMG_2501.JPG

Really neat. I have quite a few very old big woodworking machines, mostly Oliver, made in Grand Rapids, MI that are all big chunks of metal in their own right. All of them are 3 phase and run very well off a converter. My lathe runs off leather belts too. Works like a charm. Nice find.

Last edited:
Yes, I have all of my old stuff registered on that site including photos. You'll find most but not all under the Oliver Machine Co. listings. I can try to find the link. All postings are under Eric Berger. The big lathe with the leather belts is under the Porter company.

Last edited:
how many kw?

all you need is a dual axis machinists table and some mill tools;)

Thought some of you might like to see a WWII drill press. Owned by the U.S.A.F. Stands over 7 1/2 feet and weight is around a half ton. Needs a good cleaning and paint, but not too much wrong with it. The leather belt is shot and I've got to get a phase converter as it's 3 phase.

View attachment 912755

View attachment 912756
hello, i have drill press like yours that i was told was 1942 model surplus.it had two buildings burn down on it, then sat in weather for 12 years before i got it and spend a year getting the rust off and rebuild. i have been using it for 32 years and have not seen a new one i would trade it for. i have always wondered who made it since nameplates long ago burned off.could you take a picture of nameplate i would thank you

View attachment 912755

View attachment 912756

Attachments

• WPIO-395[1].pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 270
Great! I'll take some pictures of the tags tomorrow. The brand is Edlund, but it really doesn't say what model. I'd like to see which one you have, some are a little different. Mine also has a US Air Force tag on it.

Last edited:

View attachment 912755

View attachment 912756

View attachment 912755

View attachment 912756
Tried to add picture first time couldn't get it. Try my phone now

I sure love the old iron...
but somehow I'm not so sure about it keeping things where they should be within a thou or so in general. Would love to be proven wrong about that, though.

Here's the only tag that says it's from Edlund, but it doesn't give the model number. I have it somewhere, I'll post it when found.

IMG_2950.JPG

Here's a couple vices I got for it. The dual machinist vise looks small on the drill.

IMG_2952.JPG

IMG_2951.JPG

IMG_2953.JPG

Coyotebus,

Found my notes and you are right. It's not a 2F-1B. I'd like to have mine running, it's waiting it's turn. I'm not sure how everything works on it, yet.

Where did you find your information at?

perfect props for a horror movie dungeon...!

What spindle, #3MT of #4MT. Very rigid machine, should be a nice addition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom