Clicking when backing up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just installed 60 knuckles. I did my first wheelin trip last weekend. I noticed today when backing up their is a clicking noise coming from both knuckles. Pretty much happens in reverse only I think. Its a constant click click click as the wheels spin. I don't think its the trunions, their was no movement when I was watching it their. I am thinking either the hubs, bearings, or birfields. What do you guys think. This is with the hubs unlocked btw. Could the birfield be going out? I would think if so it would be only with the hubs locked in.

Yep too many unknowns here. You might try lots of things to pin it down. Try taking out the front drive shaft and see if it goes away.

If you have wheel balance weights on the inside lip of your rim, they may be hitting your TRN's. Would happen in both forward and reverse...

Jerry D.

Do the Watrob thing--will tell you a lot.

birf...

X2 on what Watrob said.

First, make sure the hubs are unlocked. Next, make sure the TC is in 2WD. At this point, with all four wheels still on the ground, you should be able to spin the front driveshaft easily by hand. As long as it spins the hubs are truly unlocked and the TC is in 2WD. Once this is confirmed you can jack up one front wheel and spin it, both forward and backwards, while listening for any sounds.

If you hear the clicking, check to see if the drive shaft is turning when spinning the wheel. If it is turning, hold it to keep it from turning. Do you still hear the clicking? If not, you've eliminated everything but that hub/spindle/birf assembly. Set that wheel back down and do the same thing for the other wheel.

Doing this procedure should help pinpoint the source of the sound.

Don

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom