Looking for some LJ 78 (Prado) information (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just bought a 1990 Toyota land cruiser Prado. It has the feared 2lte but the PO has already swapped the 3l head.

I was just going over everything the other day (oil change, fluid check, brake check ect...)

The brakes have been a bit sketchy since I got it. I am going to test the vacuum today but the brakes need replacing for sure. Rear pads are almost toast and the rotors are shot. I am not sure about the calipers... I will figure that out when I pull them off. I have done some searching on line but I am not finding a cross reference. Does anyone know if these brake parts are available at the local parts store? Are they the same as another land cruiser? Thank you -Matt

Thanks for the info! I am in Canada.... I just came across this....

LJ78 Napa brake part numbers:

Front pads: AE7298A or SD7298A (severe duty)
Front rotor: 85799
Front calipers: I have these numbers, somewhere. Let me know if you need them.

Rear pads: AE 7487-M (Mettalic)
Rear rotor: 86929
Rear calipers: 61447 + 61448

All this info seems to check out... But I'm still missing the front caliper part numbers... I'll keep digging. I appreciate the help.

I did this job a little while ago also, and can dig up part numbers if you like. Everything is available in Canada I believe.

One thing to be aware of if you replace the front rotors: when you remove/install the front hubs from the spindles, be very sure not to damage the electric hub brushes. They need to be retained when reinstalling. (The front rotors need to be pressed on/off of the front hubs, which is why you need to remove the whole hub).

If you do end up doing the front rotors, you might also consider doing wheel bearings and knuckle job at the same time (if they need doing). Big job, but easier than taking everything apart more than once.

It's common for the rear calipers to sieze completely on the Prados and some of the 80 series also. Rear disks have a drum in them for the e-brake brake shoes.

Good luck.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/lj78-brake-swivelhub-e-hub-rebuild.676015/

Thanks guys. I have cross referenced everything I can find on the ToyoDIY site and its telling me the rear brakes are the same as a 1993 Landcruiser. Does that sound right? I will look into the 4 Runner rear calipers.

I think I am going to do the rears first because they are in pretty bad shape.

GTSSportCoupe - Where did you find a rebuild kit for the front axle? You live close to me so I figure what ever you find I should be able to get my hands on. When money and time is a bit more available to me I will tackle the front.

Edit that. I actually read your link you posted. I see that you have access to a few good places on the island. I will have to see if I can find anything local... or maybe they will ship.

Did my rear brakes over the weekend and I can vouch that the numbers above do indeed work. I cross referenced the numbers to Napa numbers as I can not stand dealing with Lordco in Abbotsford.

Calipers side by side

Rotors... as you can see mine were...DONE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom