How many triple locked 100's here? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Muddy Bean

Breaking something or fixing something
Threads
Website
www.scottmichaelbennett.com
After blowing my front diff this past winter in Michigan, I just had SLEE install a new ring gear and an ARB air locker up front. I'm now triple locked and I was wondering how many 100's on here were triple locked and what the opinions are on a triple locked 100 versus an ATRAC equipped 100. Some of you guys that know your ATRAC behaviour well, seem to really respect its capabilities...but since I haven't driven an ATRAC equipped truck and I haven't experimented with all my lockers yet, I was hoping to read some banter on the subject.

Here. No experience with ATRAC in a 100. ATRAC + lockers would give many options. The big negative with lockers: Think slick, off-camber trail: Lockers get you in deeper. The problem with ATRAC: Shock loading the drivetrain and rev limiter makes dealing with lengthy stretches of mud a problem.

Triple locked here but I also don't have atrac. I can count the number of times I've been triple locked on two hands. Rarely used but it's like a winch, you are glad you have it when the need arises!

San Diego, did you get yours installed by a shop locally?

I've grown to love my ATRAC. It does have a learning curve to it but it definitely seems to help me get over very step inclines with ease as long as I keep the throttle steady and not gun it or let off half way up.

They each have their advantages. But in situations when either lockers or ATRAC would work fine, lockers definitely do the job more gracefully. Helps, you can left foot brake with lockers.

Here. No experience with ATRAC in a 100. ATRAC + lockers would give many options. The big negative with lockers: Think slick, off-camber trail: Lockers get you in deeper. The problem with ATRAC: Shock loading the drivetrain and rev limiter makes dealing with lengthy stretches of mud a problem.

I had this exact situation nearly bite me last fall at Windrock. But my rear was the only portion of the truck sliding on the off camber trail. At the time, I was seriously wishing I could just lock my front, leave my rear open and drag myself out. As it was, it was the closest to rolling I have ever come. Another vote for wiring the lockers independently.

Triple locked here but I also don't have atrac. I can count the number of times I've been triple locked on two hands. Rarely used but it's like a winch, you are glad you have it when the need arises!

Do the rest of you concur on this? Do you rarely need to triple lock? San Diego, do you at least frequently use the front locker independently or the rear locker independently? Are you saying you rarely need to lock or just rarely needed to triple lock?

Also triple locked here. I have atrac as well, but it doesn't serve our conditions here well. We have a lot of mud and rock, so the atrac tends to beep out when the brakes overheat from application of atrac. this essentially renders you buggered if you needed that momentum to get through something and you are back onto open diffs while the system cools.

I usually triple lock at least once per week on wheeling trips, but this thing is a dedicated trail rig as well and only gets used for hard trail duty (hard trail duty for a 100). It is surprisingly capable, but its size, weight and angles are a limiting factor for the type of wheeling I do.

Locking the front usually causes other behaviors that aren't always optimal - i.e. side crawl. this is a good use for atrac. doing it again, I would likely not do the front, however, blowing the front diff even with a 4 pinion would keep me honest on the trail.

ATRAC only here, but a rear Air Locker is on the long-range budget plan.
I'm really looking forward to getting the rear locked and leaving ATRAC to deal with the front end. After 10 years of wheeling my 80 with only a rear locker, I can confidently say that I never "needed" a front locker, but some active traction control up front would have been the cat's meow. My 100 will see slightly less difficult trails.
I think a selectable front locker would be a nice tool to have in the toolbox, but one I will purchase only if I've got a bunch of money burning a hole in my pocket.

Opinions on my rig in the conditions I wheel in.

Do the rest of you concur on this? Do you rarely need to triple lock? San Diego, do you at least frequently use the front locker independently or the rear locker independently? Are you saying you rarely need to lock or just rarely needed to triple lock?
I do use the front only when i don't have time or distance for the rear e-locker to engage. On Trails like Top of the World in Moab, I used the front locker to pull me up ledges. I also use the front only to pull me through large ruts . It's just that I don't run these types of trails very often.

A-Trac and triple locked here as well. I wired mine independently and am glad I did. There are times where I have used the Front only and times where I have used the back only. A-Trac is not bad either but is no comparison to lockers IMO.

Triple locked and use it to no put too much stress on rest of drivetrain wheelin'. After wheelin with guys with ATRAC I will stick with 98/99 trucks. I like having more control.

I'm reading this and soaking it in. I'll have to spend some time getting acquainted with my front locker to get a feel for what I can use it for. I spent the money more for the stiffer carrier and option to lock and this prevent another blown diff. They are expensive to fix. My rear locker has ready saved me many times, but I guess if I'm being honest, I have yet to run into a situation where I wished I could have locked the front. Some of us just don't get heavy enough into trail riding that we need triple locked rigs. But it is nice to have in the toolbox as someone already mentioned. San Diego, I haven't wired up my ARB compressor yet so I haven't actually tried out my front locker...you're hinting it engaged and disengaged faster than the elocker in the rear? My rear elocker is lethargic to engage and disengage so if the ARB is quicker, I'll be a happy man.

Count me in the trilock group, wired independently. Haven't used it much, but that was because I was very cautious until I locked it last year. I plan to tackle tougher now.

Last edited:
I remember seeing a youtube video showing the 100 series ascending a steep grade with ATRAC and then with diff locks. I'll see about posting a link next time I am on the computer (as opposed to my phone) unless someone else finds it first.

Update....let's see if this works from my phone.

Last edited:
I remember seeing a youtube video showing the 100 series ascending a steep grade with ATRAC and then with diff locks. I'll see about posting a link next time I am on the computer (as opposed to my phone) unless someone else finds it first.

The Clash and wheeling 100s!! Two great thing that go great together. Bad ass.

Tires played a big role there...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom