No start after clearing p0401 code. What the hell? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Washed my engine an hour before. I never do this, but I had to hide any oil from my out of province inspection tomorrow. Two minutes from home I get a CEL. Great. Pull up home, shut the truck off and start it, the lights still on. Grab my scanner, pull a p0401 (EGR flow insufficient). Clear the code, go to start the truck and it won't go. Cranks like hell but won't fire. I had it half catch a few times, but no fire.

Cap is clean, all connection plugs are clean. Plugs look lean.

Any similar experiences? This truck is pushing me off, I'll be dailying the bj60 till snowfall, those things don't die.

Last edited:
Pulled the fuel line off the fuel pressure regulator, nothing comes out when the pump primes or when the engine cranks.

Did I mention how much I hate these gasser 80 series. Spent the past day doing a coolant line between the block and hard-line running up to the intake manifold.

Last edited:
Don't understand your logic. You want to remove the cats but you are worried about oil on the exterior of the engine or a CEL?

More than likely got water into the vent holes in the distributor.

I'm worried about oil only because of my vehicle inspection. Also, after fixing a coolant leak under the intake manifold the entire front axle was covered in coolant the way the radiator drains. My cat has a hole, we don't need them in Alberta for emissions so why not get rid of them, add more flow to the system, maybe see an ever so slight increase in mileage or power, and save money rather than purchasing a new cat. Only if the ecu doesn't register a fault, of course.

This is what I figured out today:

-no power at pump
-fuel pump relay was not bolted to the fender, and was upside down covered in water. However, it DOES work.
-there's no power at the fuel pump relay.

What's my next step?

When I power the pump with 12v directly, the truck runs normally. Efi fuse is good.

Last edited:
I believe that another poster had the same issue last week and was resolved by replacing the fusible links.

What fusible links? I must be blind cause I can't find anything blown.

There are three links right behind the battery box. If you have cracks in the insulation its time to replace them. I guessing the pressure washer did them in. The set is only like $12.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom