H55f and 3fe Bell Housing Interference Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.phalconoverland.com
I just threw in the towel today installing my H55f into my 60 which is running a '91 3FE engine. I am used to have to wrestle it into position but this time it just wouldn't go. I had all 4 capscrews in and was tightening them little by little as I spun the engine by hand and jerked the trans side to side trying to get it to pop into place like it usually does. I could see the alignment pins were about to engage. I pulled the trans back away from the engine and noticed the bearing plate on the front of the trans was hitting the bell housing.

Here is the trans interference...

Here is the bell housing

I could take a die grinder to it but figured I'd hit up the forum to see if anyone has seen this before.

Frank

Many times. That's a 2F bellhousing and needs t have slots ground in to fit the "ears" on the transmission bearing cover.

Poser used to have a great picture of where to grind marked in pink, but you're going to figure it out.

It looks like I marked mine with the transmission in aluminum.

Frank

Check this:

fwh02-jpg.125394

real time highjack...did you have any issues with the 2F flywheel to the 91 crank flange? IE did the FW holes need to be enlarged/relocated, and do you have a pn for the FW to crankshaft bolts? TIA

I did have to enlarge the flywheel bolt holes and reused the capscrews that came with the 3FE. I don't have a part number for those fasteners but if someone can supply and thread pitch and length one could get some from McMaster.

Frank

Lambcrusher, if you search on my user name and 3fe conversion write up I have a picture of the modifications in action in that thread.

Frank

When I did this swap I had to grind on my 3F bell housing as well. It does not take much grinding to make it fit. I was frustrated too because it the H55 should fit directly to the 3F housing.

Dyno

That is curious, I never had to grind anything down. I'll be pulling my 5 speed out of my rollover soon to install in my current 62, I'll have to check if it was already ground

When I did this swap I had to grind on my 3F bell housing as well. It does not take much grinding to make it fit. I was frustrated too because it the H55 should fit directly to the 3F housing.

Dyno

I don't get this.
Why i wonder did you have to grind a 3F bellhousing?
The H55 should mate right to it.

I don't get this.
Why i wonder did you have to grind a 3F bellhousing?
The H55 should mate right to it.

Same here. I've had two H55Fs, an earlier and later model, behind the 3F bellhousing in my '86. Both have bolted up without issue.

This is my first attempt but I can assure that my bell housing will need to be grinded. My bell housing is from a November '85 FJ60.

I hope to have the install complete this weekend

Frank

My H55 went right into the September 1985 bell housing...and later, into the Downey Chevota bell housing I used for my diesel swap?

Maybe the issue less the bell housings and more the H55fs in production these days?

Frank

are there not different bellhousings in play on some of these trucks...some stamped 3F and others with something else....? which I'm sure means some minor difference...

Last edited:
I have 3F stamped on my truck's bell housing.

Frank

it should bolt right up then....to the extent I know...with no modifications.

Obviously, not all bellhousings with a 3F on top are the same. In my opinion, the 2F bellhousing is better anyway, because it doesn't tip the transmission 9 degrees to the side like the 3F bellhousing. Grind it and bolt it up. 6 months from now, you'll have forgotten all about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom