Why dont more Mudders RV? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@TXLX100 Thanks ... as far as these things go, it is fairly Spartan but well built. 28' box on a Freghtliner 33,000 pound M2 chassis. With two of us and three cats, can get a little tight ...

Ha, I feel for you. I saw a loaded one of these today on the road, looked pretty insane. I'd venture it was not Spartan inside after getting a look at the captain chairs up front. http://www.equinemotorcoach.com/

(Might get crowded with 3 horses instead of 3 cats)

image.jpg

Yup, those are VERY nice. They are actually built by Kibbi / Renegade. Don't for a minute think that the interior of ours is anywhere near as nice as that. Ours was a dealer order for a small, amateur drag race team who later backed out of the deal. None of the wood paneled / padded walls in ours ... the came wallboard as seen in low end travel trailers and a bunch 'o Naugas gave up their lives to cover the seats ... The build quality is still there though ... cabinets are better built than in my house, interior doors are 3 times the wight of the entrance doors to my house.

On Edit: Actually, the interior of Fly Rod's North Trail looks spiffier than the interior of our rig ...

We spent our first night in the North Trail last night. Honestly, I was worried about the comfort of the queen bed because the mattress is so darn light. I slept like a rock! Very comfortable, so much so my wife said she wanted to sleep in it tonight. Our son woke up @ 4:30am and started throwing up. He mustered enough energy for the easter egg hunt then crashed in the trailer. I flipped the couch bed out and put a DVD on. He promptly fell asleep for 3 hours. I laid on the couch next to him and almost fell asleep too. The pull out bed is some sort of very dense memory foam or something. It was very comfortable.

I ran the heater, and every other piece of equipment, to make sure it worked. The smoke alarms went off as the heater burned off whatever was on it from manufacturing. So far all systems are go and we are ready to start "camping" every free weekend we have this summer. We are a very happy new RV family.

Friday I loaded up the trailer and pulled it down to the Rogue River near Grants Pass. It was great to have a spot with no one else on the property! I was able to let the dogs and kids run free with no worries. Here are a couple of pics:

A room with a view:

My son marveling at the wonder of how generators work:

I was able to get out and swing for steelhead, take the family and dogs on a nice long walk and test all of the equipment on the trailer. It was great!

I pulled the trigger on a Class C last weekend. The wife and I went back and forth between a pickup with a truck camper and fifth wheel, but we knew that the cats meow for us would be a diesel motorhome- we just didnt think it was in the budget. In our indecisiveness, a very affordable RV popped up on CL so we jumped on it. It has a Ford 7.3 chassis (very rare), so I will be able to tow my cruisers to events or wherever.

I pulled the trigger on a Class C last weekend. The wife and I went back and forth between a pickup with a truck camper and fifth wheel, but we knew that the cats meow for us would be a diesel motorhome- we just didnt think it was in the budget. In our indecisiveness, a very affordable RV popped up on CL so we jumped on it. It has a Ford 7.3 chassis (very rare), so I will be able to tow my cruisers to events or wherever.

One of the quirks of the Class C is the lack of CCC (cargo carrying capacity). You might want to verify that spec. Also, how's your engine access? I'm assuming you have the Ford Van cab on it (E-series). That's one of the reasons it was tough to add the diesel until 7.3 was replaced with the 6.0. Pics would be nice for all to see on your new RV :popcorn:

Edit: Here's a good read on gas vs diesel class C motor-homes: link

Last edited:
I've see that thread, I do my research before pulling any big ticket items. Don't take this the wrong way, but I have neither the desire nor time to get into a weight discussion - the folks at that site have a hard time thinking a F350 can tow anything more than 500 lbs. Lots of great info outside of that topic though.

That said, we broke her in this weekend by taking going to the beach. No issues, everything worked and an honest 10.2 mpg was achieved. Pic of it is below.

IMG_4435.JPG

I bought a pop up just because I could tow it with my cruiser. We thought we out grew it, and moved up to a 29' class C diesel RV. But it wasn't big enough to tow a cruiser. It only had a 7.3 idi.

At the end of the day do you want to travel in a cruiser and explore, or drive or tow a home? Two different choices.

Now I'd rather tow my cruiser with a truck and sleep in a hotel or tent.. But the pop up is still in my mind. They are very nice to sleep in.

I bought a pop up just because I could tow it with my cruiser. We thought we out grew it, and moved up to a 29' class C diesel RV. But it wasn't big enough to tow a cruiser. It only had a 7.3 idi.

At the end of the day do you want to travel in a cruiser and explore, or drive or tow a home? Two different choices.

Now I'd rather tow my cruiser with a truck and sleep in a hotel or tent.. But the pop up is still in my mind. They are very nice to sleep in.
I totally agree about the 7.3 IDI. My '90 F250 had one and was a dog on hills with camper on it and 80 in tow. I have since upgraded to a '97 F350 with 7.3 Power Stroke which is a world of difference.

I love to drive the 80, even on the pavement - it's great. But in getting older, I prefer to stay in my camper than in my RTT or a motel. So towing my cruiser or mini is what I prefer.

By "Pop up" I assume you mean tent trailer. Yeah, they get you off the ground, but like any tent - not much privacy when with a group or in a campground. And like a tent, they need to be dried out, before stowing to avoid mildew and such. But pop ups are definitely one of the lighter RVs to tow.

Last edited:
We took our giant RV to CoalMine Cruiser classic last week.
Set up in the group camp area (yes that's a factory softtop frame on the table, no you can't have it).

And a stop on the old National Rd, behind the big diesel tow truck (direct injected, intercooled, manny tranny, 4wheel discs, 16" tires, just like my F250...)

Camped as well at the CMCC....and they wouldn't let me stay in the group area because she insisted it was a camper...dumb bunny!

Then this heap pulled along side one day when I came back....there goes the neighborhood!
IMG_20140715_184207.jpg
Screenshot_2014-07-18-18-39-30.png

Titanpat57, tell me some more about your trailer/ setup, looks great! Have a thread?

Titan, I admired your cool :cool: trailer as I drove past it everyday. Wanted to stop in for a tour, but didn't see you around.

I drove in the secret CMCC entrance, dropped the Scamp in the woods and didn't ask/tell anybody. I thought primitive camping was part of the event fee.:meh:

Titan, I admired your cool :cool: trailer as I drove past it everyday. Wanted to stop in for a tour, but didn't see you around.

I drove in the secret CMCC entrance, dropped the Scamp in the woods and didn't ask/tell anybody. I thought primitive camping was part of the event fee.:meh:

Thank you Jim...the tent door is always open and the Engel always has something cold it in it...

I happened to catch the Burro as you were pulling out. They're sweet little campers!

When we had our Arctic Fox we used it a lot, 23' IIRC. The Arctic Fox was developed by one of the founders of Nash for elk hunting. The line features fully sealed undercarriage, high ground clearance, heated black and grey water tanks, screw and glue construction in all cabinets, high R value walls and windows. You could comfortably camp in 15 degree weather. As far as RV's in a similar price range go the fit and finish was exceptional. I think we sold that trailer in 2007.

Just because everybody takes their RV to a campground doesn't mean you have to. There are a lot of remote places a TT can get to. We dry camped in the Sierra and other places, basically any fire or wood cutting road we could find was a campground.
I've been elk hunting in my camper arctic Fox down to about -9 deg.. I was warm an comfy all night. it's awesome for cold weather

This is how we roll. 25ft Airstream towed with a 200
Series LC.

image.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1406602569096.jpg
I grew up in RVs and really enjoyed them but now I hate people.[emoji15] When I go outdoors I want to get as far away as I can. I like to explore and camp in remote areas. I've actually been more into backpacking the last few years but my GF is a super princess[emoji73] and made me cut up my lx450 to build this... haha.. I figured with this I have the best of both and can still get remote. I can also park it anywhere. With an RV my GF has too much space to leave free... she'll start thinking of things she needs while travelling..... I like to travel streamlined. The more crap you got the more you have to clean and organize....

8View attachment 923219 I grew up in RVs and really enjoyed them but now I hate people.[emoji15] When I go outdoors I want to get as far away as I can. I like to explore and camp in remote areas. I've actually been more into backpacking the last few years but my GF is a super princess[emoji73] and made me cut up my lx450 to build this... haha.. I figured with this I have the best of both and can still get remote. I can also park it anywhere. With an RV my GF has too much space to leave free... she'll start thinking of things she needs while travelling..... I like to travel streamlined. The more crap you got the more you have to clean and organize....

dude, in depth details are needed on this, that's the sh**

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom