Rig of the Bi-Week Via Gittinit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks, its coming along to slow though. I'm ready to wheel again. This will teach me to tear my rig down in the middle of wheeling season.

OK Guys here are the last 2+ weeks of pics and yes I drove it today. :cool:
got the rear seat mounted and skined the sides and back
goingfulltruggy061.jpg

put a few tabs on the front fenders
goingfulltruggy062.jpg

paint time
goingfulltruggy063.jpg

goingfulltruggy063.jpg

some expanded metal here
goingfulltruggy067.jpg

still need to put some here
goingfulltruggy068.jpg

more paint
goingfulltruggy069.jpg

the muffler hangs down just a little but its not to loud, me likes. Mabye it will hold out till I can get a full belly skid done.
goingfulltruggy070.jpg

and then
got some pics of my friend Mikey's rig to show yall. he is on 39.5 iroks
goingfulltruggy071.jpg

goingfulltruggy072.jpg

goingfulltruggy073.jpg

goingfulltruggy074.jpg

and mine out of the shop finally!
goingfulltruggy075.jpg

goingfulltruggy076.jpg

goingfulltruggy077.jpg

goingfulltruggy078.jpg

goingfulltruggy079.jpg

back in the shop for limit traps and bumpstop rework
goingfulltruggy080.jpg

looks like a tank :)

I havent updated here is a while, sorry for that. I have been buisy wheeling, and trying to sustain my rig so i could continue having fun. I hav been less that sscessfull due to breakage and rollovers, though. I rolled on my 1st outing after this most rescent rebuild,which wa at hotsprings, and again the following weekend at my local stomping grounds. I then went to Flat Nasty and proceeded to round the splines of a longfield short side axle and birf. A buddy bailed me out by loaning his longfield stuff for me to finish that weekend out. Most rescently i went to Hotsprings again only to have my rear v6 ring gear let go on me on the 1st day, followed by a rollover, and more rear diff carnage in the spare 3rd the following day.

During this time I decided to step up to a wider wheel and tire combo. I sold my old 8"wide beadlocks, and 36x12.5 tires and picked up some 38.5x14.5 and put em on 10" wide rims. I tried running with no beadlocks but bent the lip on a wheel and got trash into the tire bead on another after just the 1st trip. It was an easy descesion to go back with some weld on beadlocks. Other than the new beadloks and new to me 38's the only other mod has been a harbor freight winch I mounted just behind the rear seat. I have picked up a fj80 front axle and 3rd out of a 92, but i'm struggling with deciding wether to go this route or just upgrade to something stronger than that even. I'm also working on getting a FJ40 housing from a friend, Wannabecrusin, to build a hybrid 9.5/mini rear.

I am in need of a 9.5 3rd, and a diff cover for a 9.5 fj axle.

Here are some pics from the last year or so.
31510003.jpg

31510005.jpg

Having wheeled with michael, his rig works very well and he does enjoy gittinit, running the hardest stuff available.. ! !!!! good job Michael !!!! see ya Dave

Having wheeled with michael, his rig works very well and he does enjoy gittinit, running the hardest stuff available.. ! !!!! good job Michael !!!! see ya Dave
Thanks Dave you always look so relaxed behind the wheel. I envy that. I try to be hardcore and it shows. You never seem to have to try. :)

I've been a long time on hiatus from miast things internet. Got in a bad place but I'm back. :)

The rig has undergone a new rebuild. Hope its OK if I share the updates here instead of starting a new thread.

Last edited:
first trip was to hawk pride mountain ohv, and was a bust. I broke a long half way up first trail. I assume it was already cracked, warrentied em out, and put it back together for trip number 2 this time we headed to Adventure Offroad Park in tennesse...

went to load it on the trailer and noticed it wasnt pulling right. we came to the conclusion it was the locker. so we loaded it anyway and just swapped in the spare diff when we got there.

got just enough of a feel for the rig to get overconfident, and rolled it off this hill.

landed on this tire and broke an axle.

how we got it back to camp.

3rd trip was to SMORR in missouri. I had a great trip with oly a broken front diff to slow me down. Changed it out with the spare and wheeled late into the night. Loaded it on the trailer with no carnage.

Just a week ago I made my fourth trip since the rebuild this time i had a great feel for the rig and was confident enough to turn the reins over to my son on saturday night. Keep in mind my son has grown into a young man, he is 15 and 6'5" tall. he climed some trails that would make me a little uneasy and as the night got darker we headed down a steep drop off, gassed it to soon causing us to bounce a bit which sheared a lower trunion, broke a longfield and a ring gear all at the same time. Lets hope thats the extent of the damage.
smile.gif

I'm gonna throw it back together another time or two and tear down for an axle swap this winter. I have a 60/14bolt combo being built a little at a time for a while now. They would be under this rig already but the motor swap took priority. I also need a stall converter as it will pull through the brakes now on level ground. When the tons go under it it will be exaggerated by the lower gears, 5:13, vs the current 4:10...

Last edited:
Looking good Michael. Man you sure are hard on parts.

Some friend and I are going to try to make it down to the Southern Cruiser Crawl at Superlift in October this year.

I considered going. Was actually planning to by my friends are going to the benefit run in flatnasty mo and I dunno if I can swing the money or parts for both trips.

New spec list

86 ifs rear axle 4:10 gears stock axles converted to disc brakes with Chevy 1/2 ton rotors and Monte Carlo calipers with weld on bracket

85 front 2" wheel spacers 4:10 gears long field axles and hub gears ,marlin highsteer (billet arms) with 5th stud mod and steer stop tie in. Surplus center ram assist steering. Homemade knuckle gussets and diff protection.

Triangulated four link rear with 7/8 heims and super thick wall 2" Dom links. And 16" travel fox air shocks and ballistic bracketry
Front is the origonal rear springs with s10 springs added in and marlin u bolt flip with a custom heavy duty drop spring hanger

Motor: 96 4.3 with edelbrock carb conversion intake and eBay hei distributor and Nash fuel mixer paired with the rest of a got propane 22r propane kit. Stock manifolds and custom poly motor mounts. Taurus 2 speed electric fan and aluminum 19x22 radiator

Trans: th400 with tci full manual reverse valve body with engine breaking shifted by a winters sidewinder shifter

Tcase: np203/205 doubler. Adapter by ORD. Clocked adapter rear yolk is 1310 for now and from is flanged and it all rest in a home built cradle with poly mounts. Shifted by ORD triple stick shifters.

I just read through this one... just curious. Is there any original metal left on that thing? lol Nice work keeping it alive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom