OEM shocks with OME 865s? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well you should need an alignment since you lowered the preload settings on your torsion bars. Not because of the shocks.....

T bars have been turned for years. So if they remove the shocks then I do need an alignment?

...via IH8MUD app

Shocks have nothing to do with alignment specifications. I thought it was stated in one of the post the torsion bars were turned down to eliviate preload on the front (lowering) it. If no other part of the front suspension has been adjusted or parts replaced, in theory it should be fine. That being said, if tire wear is abnormal, the truck doesn't track straight on the highway, those are a few indicators you could be in need of an alignment.

Thank you.

...via IH8MUD app

No problem

Took it to the dealer for the first time in a while. Front brakes, install 4 shocks, repack front wheel bearings and check needle bearings. He said alignment and I was thinking WHY and just wanted to confirm. Thanks again.

OEM Shocks installed and rides great. Will measure and see if the back has come down any because of stock shock length.

Still have the strange sound under the floorboard on the driver side. I have been under the truck and basically grabbed everything that could move and everything is tight. Going back under again today.

OEM Shocks installed and rides great. Will measure and see if the back has come down any because of stock shock length.

Still have the strange sound under the floorboard on the driver side. I have been under the truck and basically grabbed everything that could move and everything is tight. Going back under again today.

Any update on this? Bought new OME shocks and don't really care for the ride (yes, I knew what I was getting into but curiosity got the better of me). Going back to new Toyota shocks and was wondering how your rig faired with the 865 springs with OEM shocks. Doing some suspension experiments (my loss is other people's gains as I'll be selling everything I won't keep).

Last edited:
I’ve been running factory shocks with 865’s and cranked TBs for a few years now - quite a bit of off-reading in addition to being my DD, zero issues, good performance.

I’ve been running factory shocks with 865’s and cranked TBs for a few years now - quite a bit of off-reading in addition to being my DD, zero issues, good performance.

Good to hear, after doing some research I settled on this combo as I don't do too much offroading and would like to get a little lift in without going nuts. How's onroad performance affected?

I have the OME light-duty shocks installed right now but will be pulling them off and installing new Toyota shocks as the ride is too firm for my taste (and I prefer a firmer ride). Handling has improved but it's not worth the degredation in ride quality. I read many posts of them being a firm shock and they are indeed, but I figured I'd get them just to see for myself and then sell them once I pulled them off if I hated them.

Good to hear, after doing some research I settled on this combo as I don't do too much offroading and would like to get a little lift in without going nuts. How's onroad performance affected?
On rod performance is good. That said, I'm pretty heavy - Slee Blueberry with winch and aluminum skid up front, sliders, Slee rear bumper with spare hanging on the back. I had to add spacers in the rear to keep the stance correct with my typical gear in the back of the truck, but it really rides quite nicely. Also performs well off-road - I actually beat on it pretty good, far more than most, and the shocks have performed very well with zero issues.

@paflytyer actually recommended this setup as his favorite which is why I tried it - I absolutely love the overall setup. great for both on and off road.

On rod performance is good. That said, I'm pretty heavy - Slee Blueberry with winch and aluminum skid up front, sliders, Slee rear bumper with spare hanging on the back. I had to add spacers in the rear to keep the stance correct with my typical gear in the back of the truck, but it really rides quite nicely. Also performs well off-road - I actually beat on it pretty good, far more than most, and the shocks have performed very well with zero issues.

@paflytyer actually recommended this setup as his favorite which is why I tried it - I absolutely love the overall setup. great for both on and off road.

Great, this gives me confidence. My truck is all stock with no added weight, so hopefully it works out well. I miss the softer Land Cruiser ride so I'm ditching the OME shocks. I was so hung up on onroad handling that I was kinda blinded to what other ramifications would come along with a stiffer shock... But let's be honest, it's a 6,000 lb. truck for all purposes and not an M3.

I figured I'd add a slight lift and give her some other love as my 20th anniversary with her is coming up soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom