1HD-T resistance when cranking- won't run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, having some issues with my bros hdj81 have resistance when cranking, it starts and immediately shuts off got it to run for a bit buy holding the throttle about halfway but sounded very rough , with the fuel disabled cranks fine for 2 secs then hits a resistance spot does this continuously crank crank (slow crank) over and over . The earth was getting quite hot (smoked once lol) so I was thinking bad earth here's the weird part, it cranks fine with no injectors free as a bird. We took it too a diesel mech he hasn't finnished checking it out so far valves are all In spec, no1 injector was rooted rest tested good. Compression test is the next step.

History - had a very loud tick going on but aside from this was running well. Was in the process of diagnosing this tick noise ( sounded like coming from no1 injector area) and pulled into the driveway and it just immediately cut out, pump was done 12mths ago and injectors

Timing was checked and was all good, what could be causing it to start and stop immediately ? I'm thinking worst case scenario bent rod or something causing the resistance but I don't see how this could happen idling into the driveway and it was running great aside from this tick noise only a little black smoke nothing else The tick sound could of been the dodgy injector ?, fuel issue ? Engine issue? Electrical ?

Theory : Could the stuffed injector be pouring way too much fuel into the cylinder causing it to be hard to compress and not ignite hence the resistance when cranking ? When it did run for a few secs very rough it was shooting out a fair amount of white smoke. Any ideas appreciated , I'm really hoping it's not bottom end issue. Just the immediate start and stop thing has got me stumped.

White smoke means unburnt diesel, (or head/head gasket worst case, though you say it will start, so head/HG probably not the issue) so, if one of the injectors was supplying excessive fuel, that is probably the cause of the white smoke and poor running.

i would look at the injectors, to much fuel or a bad spay pattern ,will wash the cylinder dry, and left untouched will melt the ring lands,then burn a hole in the piston.

The loud tick hasnt turned into bad big end by any chance? I would take all the glowplugs out and turn it over and see what happens.

How klms and how long since the BEB were done?

The loud tick hasnt turned into bad big end by any chance? I would take all the glowplugs out and turn it over and see what happens.

How klms and how long since the BEB were done?

I had thought Beb's also , they were done apparently 30k ago the owner had recipts for about 15k worth of work injectors, pump auto rebuild ect but not the Beb's caus he did these himself so I'm not 100% but he was honest about everything else he had done. What would taking out the glow plugs and cranking it do compared to removing injectors and crankng?

Oops just seen you already removed the injector before.

sometimes weak starter motors can crank strong and weak but that wouldnt affect its running when it starts.

Last edited:
Is the ticking noise a loose wire on the fuel pump solenoid? Ive seen these come loose and then they will only run intermittently

Is the ticking noise a loose wire on the fuel pump solenoid? Ive seen these come loose and then they will only run intermittently

The solenoid was working fine when I checked it couldn't see any loose wires ect , the ticking noise was the same sort of sound as a dodgy lifter in a petrol engine increased with revs ect but seemed less noisy over 2k rpm.

I had thought Beb's also , they were done apparently 30k ago the owner had recipts for about 15k worth of work injectors, pump auto rebuild ect but not the Beb's caus he did these himself so I'm not 100% but he was honest about everything else he had done. What would taking out the glow plugs and cranking it do compared to removing injectors and crankng?

15k would buy you an engine rebuild with platinum plated pump and iridium pistons. What was done exactly for that incredibly high price? A brand new pump is 4k, new OEM injectors are 250 a pice, a new OEM turbo is 1k and a full engine rebuild without cutting any corner is 6k. So what did they do for 15k?
Disregard if you are talking Pesos.

15k would buy you an engine rebuild with platinum plated pump and iridium pistons. What was done exactly for that incredibly high price? A brand new pump is 4k, new OEM injectors are 250 a pice, a new OEM turbo is 1k and a full engine rebuild without cutting any corner is 6k. So what did they do for 15k?
Disregard if you are talking Pesos.

Sry I should I specified more talking au $ , no actual engine work as such. Auto & transfer rebuild with hd torque converter and part time kit installed with avm hubs - 7k , injector pump was fully rebuild and tricked up a little with all injectors also - 4k , all new dobinsons suspension , superior adjustable pan hard and draglink 3k , all brakes and knuckle seals rebuild / wheel bearings ect 1k.

These are just some of the recipts he had , also had brand new dick cepic dc2 alloys x5 with new BFG kM2 tyres x 5 , new tjm winch bar brush rails , 12000lb witless In cab controlled tjm winch with synthetic rope everything was done within the last year the list goes on…

The previous owner was not short of money and he said it owed him over 40k , it's a absolutely awsome truck Sahara model too factory everything in mint condition 280k klms on it he litteraly had too many toys and didn't want to spend any more on this thing . U should of seen his 40 series with the 12ht I've never seen anything like it.

But we bought (reasonably cheap) it knowing worst case senario it may need a engine rebuild we listened to the tick and to me it sounded from the top end I listened to it with a stethoscope all over but couldn't pin point it. But I'm not condemning it yet it but having trouble with some really weird issues I've never encountered before I'm newish to the 80's so don't know everything about them just yet , I have owed a few 60's including a 12ht one , and currently have a hzj75 ute with a denco turbo and tricked up pump a bit. So I have played with diesels a reasonable amount but never come across a problem such as this. Thanks for the thoughts so far ,

What do people think about the theory I had just a thought ?

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

A bent rod should only make it miss on that cylinder, if it's bent enough that is and not hitting anything..... your faulty injector idea is way better than my too advanced pump idea.... get all the injectors tested maybe that will show something... it's also not really too much work compared to most other stuff... good luck

Thanks mate will report back with compression test results , just going through my head trying to think of what could be wrong , so many scenarios. Not knowing is the worst part haha.

Could be a bad piston as discussed earlier, specifically, a piston rocking in the bore, or wrist pin moving in the piston. These tend to make noise at idle to low rpm, and become quieter as rpm's rise.

Good luck, hope it's minor.

Good looking Cruiser!

Very sharp truck! Totally unrelated, but could you post another pic of the spare tire swingout? Never seen one swing to that side with a stock rear bumper.

Ah, I see. Yes, then the price makes sense-it is a beautiful truck.

I would first test the injectors, as others have said. Then compression.
I doubt it is a wrist pin or bushing-if they go wrong you get some serious knocking and banging. We dana 1HDFT with a poorly installed piston bushing and it was very loud.
Worst case you can pull the head in the truck, that will tell you everything you need to know.
Oh, and since you are in Australia, I'd just buy a rebuilt engine and drop it in instead of rebuilding it yourself. And while you do that, get a 1HDFT instead of the 1HDT, it is a far superior engine and will bolt right in.
cheers,
Jan

Ah, I see. Yes, then the price makes sense-it is a beautiful truck.

I would first test the injectors, as others have said. Then compression.
I doubt it is a wrist pin or bushing-if they go wrong you get some serious knocking and banging. We dana 1HDFT with a poorly installed piston bushing and it was very loud.
Worst case you can pull the head in the truck, that will tell you everything you need to know.
Oh, and since you are in Australia, I'd just buy a rebuilt engine and drop it in instead of rebuilding it yourself. And while you do that, get a 1HDFT instead of the 1HDT, it is a far superior engine and will bolt right in.
cheers,
Jan

I did think about the 1hdft I know they are great motors but they sell upward of 10k secondhand ! , I can get a brand new fully rebuild bare long block 1hdt for about 6k like u said otherwise I would be straight on to it haha. I am really hoping it's not a crook wrist pin or piston can't wait for compression test results.

Very sharp truck! Totally unrelated, but could you post another pic of the spare tire swingout? Never seen one swing to that side with a stock rear bumper.

Ian- I also did notice it's on the opposite side I don't think I've seen any on that side either , it's a genuine kaymar wheel carrier. I'll get some more rear pics of it for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom