Rear winch installed in 2012 fj cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I modified my Reese hitch to accept a Curt winch receiver mount from the opposite end, a piece of 1/4" angle iron as a cross member and lots of measuring and drilling....
still have to wire it up and section the rear cross member for a fairlead but as far as im concerned, the hard part is done. Its a Superwinch tiger shark 9500 with 92' of 1/2" synthetic. It is completely hidden from sight and fits perfectly between the rear cross member and the vapor canister. I clocked the clutch lever and it works great where it is. I attempted to clock the motor but there is only one set of mounting holes so i could only clock it 180 which put the cable terminals too close to the mounting plate so the solenoid was relocated to the jack storage area.

n4ysyo.jpg

2v1q0yq.jpg

50gsag.jpg

vl7bb.jpg

28vg0hc.jpg

28ahouu.jpg

33ok0so.jpg

2j5jo28.jpg

dyramf.jpg

2w3svts.jpg

Last edited:
Man that looks great. Pretty sweet idea. I need to get synthetic rope for my winch.

Yeah, there is a fairlead. Ill add pics showing it complete soon.

Did u have to cut out the 2x2 steel on the rear of the hitch or was it already open?

I have a Hidden Hitch and it's welded closed.

I cut it out. Drilled a hole in every corner then used a sawzall.

Last edited:
Very cool idea.... This is the first rear winch I've seen mounted in an FJ that also keeps the rear receiver.

Sent from my SCH-I535

Looks really good; is that crossbar ahead of the winch stock?

A concern, most types of braid don't like dirt and grit in them and road grime and dust will destroy strength the line in no time. You might want to find a way to cover the spool and protect the line from dirt.

Thank you for the inspiration. I have wanted to do this pretty bad after seeing this. Here is my version mounted in a Warn bumper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom