Speski OffRoad - Expo roof rack build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

:beer:I duplicated your rack. Other than adding a cross bar at the rear of the rack. Thanks for the instructions/dimensions.

I did too! Corbet's thread is what inspired me to build mine. It's still raw too...

14315731908_0ddff39cc2_h.jpg

14701948481_5811b25b83_h.jpg

Nice job I am debating on putting an expanded steel floor on. But I do mount a Rocket box up top during the winter for skis and such. I am going to bend a front fairing piece though. Do you get any wind noise as it sits?

:beer:I duplicated your rack. Other than adding a cross bar at the rear of the rack. Thanks for the instructions/dimensions.

I wanted to add another cross bar too but ran out of tubing. I don't want to spend $100 on another stick for just that though.

I did too! Corbet's thread is what inspired me to build mine. It's still raw too...

Cool, that was the point of the thread :clap:

Nice job I am debating on putting an expanded steel floor on. But I do mount a Rocket box up top during the winter for skis and such. I am going to bend a front fairing piece though. Do you get any wind noise as it sits?

I did not add a floor due to my Thule Box and various Yakima attachments. But expanded steel is the way to go IMO if you do. I do not get any noticeable wind noise with my roof closed. Open I do, but no whistle, just turbulence type noise.

Last edited:
Instead of expanded metal which can be sharp edged, look into perforated metal.

...via IH8MUD app

When I bought it several years ago, this is what I remember. You select the size of hole you want and the distance on center between each hole. If I had to do it again I might get larger holes. It catches a lot of wind, as I guess anything on top does. I had to sprayed with rhino lining too. I does require some bracing between. I don't think it is as strong as expanded metal.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1406117270.176212.jpg

I used .065 aluminum diamond plate for my rack bottom. It's light, strong, and best of all...shades the roof, which makes the interior much cooler.

I designed my rack to mount various boxes and such, so I added nut plates to make attachment easy and quick. I used nut plates to attach the diamond plate also, some which double as accessory mounts.

For misc. attachments points, I made 3" dia holes in the diamond plate over the racks support tubes. These are used to allow strap hooks, bungee's, ropes, etc to connect easily.

I also made a front nose piece to deflect a little wind, hide my hi-lift and shovel.

The rack is quiet and works well. All made in my garage.

004 resized.jpg
005 resized.jpg
P1060387 resized.jpg
Just a few idea's.

@doug720
Doug what tube size and wall thickness did you use and did you just thru bolt the diamond plate to it?

Sorry, we have been on vacation.

The tube is 1" and I don't recall the thickness, but I think it was .083.

I welded nuts to tabs and welded those to the bottom tubes. The aluminum plate and accessories bolt into the welded nuts so I don't need to get fingers under the rack to attach things.

nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom