Tablets with "real" GPS (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm looking too. Ken, which Xperia do you recommend? Reading on xda developers I only see the Z2. Is it the latest?

Is anyone worried about non-replaceable batteries? I won't buy a phone without being able to replace the battery, deal breaker. Is it a problem on tablet's too? I read that the Nexus 7 can be disassembled and battery replaced.

I will tether to my phone when needed and can not see the advantage of having its own 3G, 4G, LTE connection. Having said that, is there a reason to get an LTE version over just a wifi version for processor reasons? The LTE ones also have wifi, right? I can see getting one with LTE capability and not using the service in order to get other capability. Thoughts?

Has anyone bought a smaller size (7-8") and wished they had bought a bigger one? What about the opposite, did you buy a big one and wish you had a smaller one? This is excepting situations where you had to get a specific size to physically fit somewhere.

I'm done with Garmin hardware. Nuvi was swiped from my wife's truck and I am not replacing it. I use Waze where i can but miss the speed limits on roads feature. Downloaded Garmin's Viago on my S3 to test. It works with offline maps. If Waze had offline maps and posted speed limits I would not bother with Viago.

I have BCN pro and will look at the others mentioned in this thread too. I will root it for sure to delete bloatware and for mods I use on my phone. The Multi Window Manager lets me pick which apps can be used in split windows on my S3. The larger screen tablets would be nice when using split screen.

External storage is a must and internal storage must be at least 32GB. I would pay double the price for a 32GB over a 16GB. Too many apps have to be internal and I want head room.

I see that the split screen is Samsung only. Runs on a few phones and the Note 10.1. I donated to the developer and encouraged making it work with the new Samsung Tab S 10.5. Google threatened to stomp CyanogenMod when they tried to roll out Cornerstone, which is similar tech.

Until it comes out as Native Android I will really lean toward a tablet that can run the Multi Window Manager.

Ive been pretty happy with Motion X on an iPad with the Bad Elf GPS. Ram windshield mount has been surprisingly secure. Have used it for overlanding several times, you just have to download your maps in advance.

SCTLCA_Mojave_1 by ethernectar, on Flickr

SCTLCA_Mojave_48 by ethernectar, on Flickr

I see that the Samsung Tab S now has 4 way split screen using Multi Window Manager. Requires root and I see no reason to wait. I downloaded Gaia last night and played with it today on the S3. I like it and the web site map integration. It does look easier to use than BCN. Anyone have the Pro $100 version?

I see that the split screen is Samsung only. Runs on a few phones and the Note 10.1. I donated to the developer and encouraged making it work with the new Samsung Tab S 10.5. Google threatened to stomp CyanogenMod when they tried to roll out Cornerstone, which is similar tech.

Until it comes out as Native Android I will really lean toward a tablet that can run the Multi Window Manager.

Hum.. that suction mount doesn't come off when bouncing? Interesting. I have totally ignored suction mounts so far while looking as I suspected they wouldn't handle off road use at all. They seemed more at home in a BMW cruising down the highway then bouncing down the trail.

Hum.. that suction mount doesn't come off when bouncing? Interesting. I have totally ignored suction mounts so far while looking as I suspected they wouldn't handle off road use at all. They seemed more at home in a BMW cruising down the highway then bouncing down the trail.

Good suction mounts on a clean windscreen will hold VERY well. I ran the setup below for 2 weeks in the oz bush (temperatures in the 60 - 100F range during that time and neither the garmin or the tablet suction cups ever gave way.

cheers,
george.

navig.jpg

I think the best GPS Tablet is Samsung Galaxy Tab 3.
The 7 inch size fits perfectly on your car dashboard, and with the high quality display from Samsung you can see perfectly from almost any angle, even with strong light. - See more at: techwarn_com/top-gps-tablets-2014/

Facing same problem as the first poster I read all your answers first and I must say as, at first, I felt that my head was full of new info I started to process the data slowly. You're very helpful and very insightful peeps and all that is left for me is to say thank you. I grabbed Galaxy 7" and am very very pleased with it. I am gonna test around some apps you mentioned just to see what suits my needs the best :D Anyway - thank you! :)

Don't androids charge slow when using standard usb ports? What amp am I looking for to replace my cigarette lighter with usb?

Don't androids charge slow when using standard usb ports? What amp am I looking for to replace my cigarette lighter with usb?
My last charger purchase had 2 different output levels. 1 and 2 amp I believe. I plugged in the higher level with no problems. Samsung s7 with location and data running it actually gained charge. On the lower amp I actually burned a buddies charger out.

Thanks. I'm about to install dual usb, in place of the cigarette lighter. Wanted to make sure that it would be capable of charging my tablet.

I have an older samsung galaxy tab A with sPen, it has GPS and GloNass. I only use it for work related stuff though. Some regular gps work on ALK Copilot, but none of the off road mappig stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom