Builds Won a '74 40 on a coin toss... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dang dude. oh i just reread that the wire was under the battery itself, i was thinking battery cable. yeah it might be toast, broken inside but not visible from outside. it happens.

dang dude. oh i just reread that the wire was under the battery itself, i was thinking battery cable. yeah it might be toast, broken inside but not visible from outside. it happens.

No continuity in the wire off to the auto parts store... Again. Sigh.

...via IH8MUD app

Hey so swapped out my voltage regulator and noticed the new one doesn't have a ground wire coming off of it - do I need to take that off and install on new one?
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1405997359.219052.jpg

It is the wire with the prong on it.

...via IH8MUD app

I forget official the name for that, but it's a capacitor that was used to remove interference on AM radios - if you don't have interference, you really don't need it.

I forget official the name for that, but it's a capacitor that was used to remove interference on AM radios - if you don't have interference, you really don't need it.

Okay sounds good. I've yet to really try the radio other than the BT streaming from iphone. That is so nice to have!

...via IH8MUD app

Ok sick of this thing so sold it... :(

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1406044278.055405.jpg

Just kidding - it's off to get some work done on it at Valley Hybrids. Georg is supposed to take good care of me. Hopefully this thing will be road worthy and I can drive it reliably.

...via IH8MUD app

I was going to say.....its not that bad.

Oh and in the name of full disclosure (although I don't plan on selling this), needed to use filler on the welded inserts (some high/low spots). Here is my first ever attempt at filler... Needs some work. I was hoping to maintain the stock "weld" marks on the quarter panel but may need to skim to the top of the panel to make it look right.

imageuploadedbyih8mud-forum1406042415-661165-jpg.920479

Those are for footman loops i.e. a soft top of some sort.

Those factory weld marks come from the spot welding of the wheel well to the fender and the stress of body flex over the years. It may be hard to get those to come out with the skim coat you used.

ginmtb: are you going to remove and fill the hole left by the giant CB antenna mount? I'd sure consider welding that hole shut and applying filler to that, too. If you ever catch that ball on a tree or a rock, it'll hack the fender pretty well.

Looks good Mike!

Question: What are those small handle-looking things above your rear marker lights?

Looks good when looking right at it - shine a light under it and look at it from the side and it looks like the dunes of the Sahara... :|. Going to have to hit it up again for sure.

And yes, this thing came with a soft top and bikini top too. Hoping to put on the bikini top before summer is over lol.

Those are for footman loops i.e. a soft top of some sort.

Those factory weld marks come from the spot welding of the wheel well to the fender and the stress of body flex over the years. It may be hard to get those to come out with the skim coat you used.

Yeah, I stayed below the spot welds but like I said, I may have to go to the top of the panel to make it look right. This body work stuff is not easy. Now I know why they charge so much for it...

ginmtb: are you going to remove and fill the hole left by the giant CB antenna mount? I'd sure consider welding that hole shut and applying filler to that, too. If you ever catch that ball on a tree or a rock, it'll hack the fender pretty well.

I was going to but I let my friend who helped weld the panels talk me into keeping it - he said I might want a CB down the road. Probably not. You're right though, if i'm re-doing the entire panel now would be the time...

oh god get rid of the antenna mount. i wish i had the space to weld and get rid of mine. someone made a fortune on those in the 80's. im sure there is a modern CB antenna that is more lo pro if you really want one.

i really did believe you were selling that thing. too funny. what is georg doing for you?

oh god get rid of the antenna mount. i wish i had the space to weld and get rid of mine. someone made a fortune on those in the 80's. im sure there is a modern CB antenna that is more lo pro if you really want one.

i really did believe you were selling that thing. too funny. what is georg doing for you?

Okay, sounds like I will get rid of that. Of course, my friend lives 3 hours away so it may have to wait... I have another friend who welds too but he is 4 hours away. But if Georg can help me make this thing road worthy, I may just have to make a road trip... :)

Georg is helping me with the tcase output shaft leak, the oil pan gasket, and doing a safety check and providing recommendations on what else needs to be done to make it reliable.

Dont you live in CA? I didnt think yall could do a desmog and be street legal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom