Anyone with filler experience in NorCal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ginmtb

'74 FJ40 - my first!
Threads
So a friend of mine was able to help me weld some new inserts into my rear fenders to get the stock look back. He is no body guy but his help was greatly appreciated (considering I don't know how to weld).

Anyhow there are some high and low spots and I've been trying to smooth them out with filler however having not used it before it's not looking so great. I'm afraid actually of what it will look like when paint is applied.

Looking to see if there is anyone in the East Bay of Northern California who'd be interested in helping me out. I actually reached out to a couple of guys on Craigslist who do body work at "the best prices in the Bay Area" and was shocked at how much they wanted.

Thanks!

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1406042395.211392.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1406042415.661165.jpg

...via IH8MUD app

Buy a long board file block and some 80 grit paper and prepare to get dirty. It's really not hard.

Yeah I think I have come to the realization that I will have to cover more area than I had hoped. I'm good at sheetrock mud so I would think this isn't that much different... ;)

Haha, I've been doing some drywall and bodywork this week. The only difference is that drywall is way more forgiving.

Just remember that surface prep is everything. Make sure everything is wiped down with some wax and grease remover and have at it. If you screw it up you can always add more filler and start over. Just use a long block and file board sheets and you shouldn't have a hard time getting it straight. Remember to keep the block at an angle when sanding. For example, It should look likes it at a 45 degree angle if your sanding from front to back. Doesn't matter which way it's angled, it just helps keep your bodywork straight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom